Key Largo / Sundiver / Rainbow Reef trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm recently returned from a week-long trip to Key Largo with my wife and two of my children, ages 14 and 19. My wife does not dive but has recently experimented with snorkeling. My children finished their OWD certification two years ago in Minnesota but had never seen the ocean before this trip.

I chose Rainbow Reef for our dive charters for three reasons:
  1. Favorable reputation on SB
  2. Location
  3. Reasonable rates that include an in-water guide. We paid $65 per diver, per two-tank trip, plus tax and tip.
Overall, we were all very pleased with Rainbow Reef. They were accommodating and organized, with helpful, capable DMs and boat captains. Boats mostly left the dock on time and trips proceeded without undue delay. I felt that the DMs were supportive and did not engage in any one-upsmanship. Rainbow Reef had completed is acquisition of Ocean Divers just a few weeks prior to our trip, and it was clear that the integration of the two companies was still under way.

Rainbow Reef did not try to assess skill or experience when dividing divers into groups. Groups were small. One one trip, the three of us had a DM to ourselves. More typically, we were part of a group of five, sometimes seven. On the shallow reef trips, most of the clientele were using rental gear and had buoyancy and general diving skills typical of those relatively new to diving. As might be expected, we observed a higher overall level of skill among clients participating in the night dive and the deeper dives,

The boats were typically near their practical capacity limit, with around 20-30 diving customers plus crew.

I brought my wife on one trip since she very much wanted to snorkel the Christ of the Abyss site. I encouraged my children to scuba dive on this trip but left my own gear back on shore so that I could snorkel with my wife. The site was crowded with dive boats and we ended up on a mooring ball quite some distance from the statute, and there was a strong cross current. Nonetheless, we were able to swim out to the statue and back and had a great dive. The crew was willing to accommodate my wife's mobility difficulties as she entered and exited the water. I think we ended up seeing at least as much as the scuba divers as this is a shallow site.

We dove the popular upper keys sites -- Molasses Reef, French Reef, the statue and surrounding area, the wrecks of the Benwood and the Spiegel Grove -- which did not disappoint. Viz was typically 60+ feet. Water was 82 F and though we started out diving with wetsuits we were all diving in rashers by the last day.

We used Sundivers for our first snorkel-only (no scuba) "get to know the ocean" trip. We visited a couple of shallow sites and snorkeled. When snorkeling, there are minor advantages to a snorkel-only boat as the schedule, site selection, and space on the boat can be adjusted to suit snorkeling rather than diving. We would recommend them also for anyone who prefers a snorkeling-oriented day.

Other than diving, curious how did you find Key Largo as a place?

Other than diving, curious how did you find Key Largo as a place?

It's our third trip to the keys, but the first time we've stayed in Key Largo.

We stayed at an apartment that we arranged through AirBnB. It was in an older apartment complex (The "Kawama Yacht Club," nothing whatsoever to do with yachts, don't be fooled), oceanside, that had a couple of swimming pools, a saltwater lagoon, and a small harbor and marina that opened onto the Atlantic. It was inexpensive and ideal for the four of us. We had supper out in Key Largo three nights and found there to be a broad array of restaurant alternatives with good food at various points on the scale of price and sophistication. Some of these were on the water. Snook's Bayside was the best overall experience for us food wise.

In terms of retail, there were two passable grocery stores, a Walgreens, various dive shops, and a Starbucks, which is enough to keep us going for a long time, and which is a substantial improvement over many of our favorite vacation destinations. (Hill City, SD, Sioux Narrows, ON, Tower, MN, and Dahlonega, GA come to mind as places that do not have any of these things)

There are more touristy things to do in Key West, which we visited for a day on this trip, and all kinds of powerboat rentals, fishing charters, and kayaking eco trips, up and down the keys, that we did not explore this time.

We have previously stayed in resort hotels on Islamorada, Marathon, and in Key West, and found that we enjoyed staying in Key Largo more due to the lower prices, more practical and enjoyable dining options, and proximity to dive operations.

We stayed at an apartment that we arranged through AirBnB.

Just a hint for everyone that when you find a vacation rental you like on one site, look at other sites as well. Owners sometimes have different prices on the different listing sites - meaning, with a little extra searching, you can find a lower price. I typically find the best prices on HomeAway. Others to check are VRBO and FlipKey.

When in Key Largo last May we ate at Senor Frijoles a couple of times. It's quite excellent Mexican food.

Ah yes, but Dahlonega is at the base of some great twisty mountain roads which are awesome on a motorcycle.

Indeed there are. In my misspent youth, I would ride the twisties into the hills on my road bike with a large frame backpack on my back, and continue into the Cohutta Wilderness, which involved taking a road where you had to ford two rivers. Then continue on foot along the river or the ridge, and not come back out for a week. Good times.

Snooks is one of the more enjoyable place in KL, got to agree with you there. Hobos is also good

Thanks, we'll try that on another trip.

Reasonable rates that include an in-water guide. We paid $65 per diver, per two-tank trip, plus tax and tip.

thanks for sharing your trip report....that seems like a great diving deal you had with rainbow reef divers.

Great report and perfect timing for my upcoming trip

Just returned from a Key Largo trip myself. I haven't been there for 2 years. Quite a change in the reef conditions imho. Does anyone have a report for Marathon or Looe Key reefs since the hurricane?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom