Launching a DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:

He is the type that demands safety warnings on everything I would bet.
seems that's only an issue if you use dental floss on the reel.

seems that's only an issue if you use dental floss on the reel.
Or have gaps between your teeth like Cleetus
maxresdefault.jpg

LOL
Anyway I found that for me the easiest way to inflate the DSMB is to let some air out the mouth from the reg without removing the reg
I partially inflate the DSMB and make it neutrally buoyant so that I can see it at the level of my eyes then I finish to inflate it with the same method

Is there a video that can show us how to deal with the fastening of the clips to the reel whilst the octo is inflating the DSMB? Thanks!

Is there a video that can show us how to deal with the fastening of the clips to the reel whilst the octo is inflating the DSMB? Thanks!

I’ll look & post it later if no one beats me to it. But it’s a simple step that I can describe it with words:
You just clip it to the string as weight that will slide between the spool & the DSMB. Just make sure you clip it there before adding air into your DSMB. Then you can watch the clip sliding up & down the string as the spool unwinding & DSMB ascending. Putting the clip there will keep the string under tension at least by the weight of the clip when the DSMB reaches the surface.

I’m with @Diver0001 here.. launching a DSMB doesn’t need to be pretty it needs to be safe and functional.

I use an AP crack bottle “missile” it’s great, but occasionally (1/100) there might be a tangle or grab on the reel. No probs. I let it go and generally the reel unwinds itself and comes down to me.

This I snt an Olympic sport, I know I can hold a stop and shoot my dsmb withinn a few inches of depth, generally I can’t be bothered, within +/- 18” is good enough for me.

Likewise I’ve taught a few people, I start with them being neg at the bottom of a pool or similar so the can figure out the mechanics of which hand to use to do what. Once they’ve worked out what is natural for them, it’s all easy.

I’d like to see more videos of skills in real life, rather than those posted to show how perfect the subject can be

Diving in strong current condition you may not have much time to attach the string from spool to the DSMB. So, the end of the string from the spool is already attached the the DSMB. When you are ready to deploy it, you just unclip the double ender off the spool, clip it to your chest D-ring and proceed on with the blowing & launching the DSMB, as shown in this video:

Last edited:

Diving in strong current condition you may not have much time to attach the string from spool to the DSMB. So, the end of the string from the spool is already attached the the DSMB. When you are ready to deploy it, you just unclip the double ender off the spool, clip it to your chest D-ring and proceed on with the blowing & launching the DSMB, as shown in this video:

I sure wouldnt leave the double ender on the line like that. Doesnt take much for that to bounce the wrong way and end up wrapped in the line.

I sure wouldnt leave the double ender on the line like that. Doesnt take much for that to bounce the wrong way and end up wrapped in the line.
Agreed. Also, one wrong bounce and the clip whacks the diver in the face. That technique looks like the diver is inviting an accident.

Agreed. Also, one wrong bounce and the clip whacks the diver in the face. That technique looks like the diver is inviting an accident.

How would a rinky ding 4" double ender that would slide freely on a string under tension, a foot away from the diver face, whack the diver in the face & injure the diver? I haven't heard such accident. You see in the video that double ender just bouncing an inch away at most off the spool. Besides, you have your fingers on the spool controlling the scrolling of the spool. Having the double ender looping around the string would keep the string under tension & straight line, instead floating loosely that can create entanglement later as the DSMB reaches the surface.

There was an accident in Flower Garden Bank about loose DSMB's string entangled 4 divers who happened swimming above the DSMB's owner. DM ended up cutting the string off the DSMB in pieces to free up the 4 divers. We are prohibited to carry DSMB since. Only use SMB & to be deploy only on the surface.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom