Newbie question: PADI or NAUI, does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have said, the quality of the instructor is the primary concern. I can relate horror stories starring individual instructors from each agency. I can relate tales of excellence starring individual instructors from each agency.

It is definitely true that PADI has many more outlets worldwide, but once you are certified, that doesn't matter a bit. If you are going diving and need to present a certification card as qualification, any dive operation anywhere in the world will accept the card from any bona fide agency. If you move somewhere and decide to go on to higher levels of instruction, you can switch from one to the other without a problem.

My comment, which you chose to use only a portion of out of context, was alluding to the comments that others had made that if you are certified by PADI and you forget your c-card if you are at a PADI facility they can look your certification(s) up online.

Echoing comments above. It doesn’t matter for you as a certified diver showing a c-card to a dive operator. Now, IF you can select a recommended instructor then use him/her. Recommendations are great but most people have zero reliable recommendations and there is no Yelp for scuba instruction that I know of. That means that you will use the most convenient option. PADI or NAUI. Just “do it.”

I agree with others about instruction and quality instructors. I was instructor with SSI, NAUI, and SDI/TDI and so are many other instructors here on SB and elsewhere. I strived to make divers self sufficient and safe. I made sure the standards were met and made sure before I give the cards out that the student would be safe and have fun diving. Not just for the obvious reasons but also because I did not want even one accident happen to my students. Now was I a quality instructor? I don't know; you would have to ask my students.

My comment, which you chose to use only a portion of out of context, was alluding to the comments that others had made that if you are certified by PADI and you forget your c-card if you are at a PADI facility they can look your certification(s) up online.

Or just go SSI and all your certifications and course materials are on your phone. Keeping plastic out of the ocean :). You can prove your certs by logging into any internet capable device if you happen to forget your phone.

Forget about agencies and focus on the capabilities of the instructor.

If you need a way to judge instructors, or instruction, some instructors here feel strongly that you should be taught neutrally buoyant, not kneeling on the bottom of the pool. You might ask the different shops if you can do the skills kneeling on the bottom or if you need to do them neutral. Asking that way you perhaps get the more accurate answer of how they teach. Then go with the ones that say, 'no you really need to do it neutral because that is how you will ultimately be diving but we will get you there, its actually easier'. If all say kneeling is ok, try another round of the shops looking for if one shop has an 'odd ball' instructor who teaches skills neutral, then go with that instructor.

Most of my recent training is NAUI, who I like. My only Padi cert is Nitrox, but Padi is ahead on standards calling for neutral instruction. Whether shops do it that way is a different issue, hence the filtering question :) to find the right instructor, not agency.

Bring your card with you. That way who's lookup system is at their front desk does not matter. Plus, you likely soon want to get Nitrox, an easy academic cert. When shops ask if my certification is with Padi (implying they are clearly the best, and that I should certainly rectify that with them if it is not), I tell them my Nitrox is with Padi, which is all they need to give me tanks with Nitrox. Yes, for a deep dive a boat needs me to show some advanced card, but trying to match cert agency with dive resort agency is a path of folly.

Last edited:
In 37 years of diving, I've only had the alphabet on my card questioned one time. That instance occurred at Bruce Bowker's Carib Inn on Bonaire in 1990 when a Canadian dive instructor asked about the legitimacy of the PDIC C-card I had produced. Bruce was present and told her that PDIC was absolutely a real agency and rattled off a brief history of the agency. PDIC was HQ'ed in Pennsylvania at the time and Bruce Bowker hailed from New Jersey so he was well-aware of it.

You'll have more trouble with the level of C-card you show as proof of certification than what agency is on it. I was asked for an advanced card to go on a wreck dive in the Florida Keys. I pulled out an NSS-CDS Cave Recovery Diver C-card and they didn't accept it. I reached back into my wallet and produced a PDIC instructor card which was accepted as proof of advanced training. I think most trimix divers have stories where they produced a trimix card for a nitrox fill and some shop employee didn't accept it. Happened to me several times. The shop owners usually straighten the kids out. :)

Agency doesn't always matter. Sometimes it does if the instructor only teaches to the minimums. NAUI does have some skills and knowledge as part of the minimum the instructor must cover that PADI doesn't. Sadly that doesn't always mean they will cover them.
As others have said, the instructor will make or break a class. What I have seen over the years is that too often people will do more research on choosing their next TV or microwave than they will someone who is going to teach them to enter and have fun in an alien environment that is normally hostile to human life. We don't have gills so if we don't get the training we need, things can go badly.
Now, there are different levels of training at the Open Water level and all classes are not the same by a long shot.
Time in the classroom, time in the pool, online classroom supplements, and the morals and ethics of the instructor all come into play. As do the morals and ethics of the shop if the instructor is teaching through the shop.
You need to interview the instructor as an employee you are hiring to provide a service. For the instruction part you need to interview the shop as well.
Ask to see the standards you are supposed to be trained to. They should be happy to do it. Then ask how far above those minimum standards they are going to train you to. That's the key, those are minimums and while some people may do ok with that, more than a few don't when they actually hit open water and find out that they aren't as comfortable or prepared as they should be.
These are 21 suggested interview questions I would ask from my book "SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver" that I wrote to help people find good training. The answers I'd want to hear are in the book.
1. When did you become an instructor?
2. Have you had any large gaps in your teaching career, how recently, how many courses have you taught in the past year?
3. What is your certifying agency?
4. How much time is required for the course?
5. How large are the classes?
6. What equipment do you provide and what do I as the student need to supply?
7. Is your class schedule set or flexible?
8. Do you teach skin diving skills?
9. What methods do you use to teach proper weighting?
10. What methods do you use to address the panic cycle?
11. Do you teach students to perform skills in a horizontal position from the beginning of the class?
12. Will I have time to just swim and practice the skills we learn?
13. Can I sit in on a class or pool session?
14. What methods do you use to teach buoyancy and trim?
15. How much time will I get to practice these skills?
16. Do you dive with students after class has ended?
17. Where do you do your checkout dives?
18. How many places have you been diving?
19. When was the last time you were diving?
20. How often do you dive for fun?
21. Do you have references - former students that I can talk to?

Any reputable instructor should be happy to discuss these factors.

Clearwater/St. Pete

Take a drive right over the bridge and take your class with Robert Lawrence. He is a very nice guy, and is very patient with his students. He goes above and beyond to give them a varied class and teach them to dive in all areas (springs, ow, and boat dives. He has been teaching people to dive in trim and with absolutely no bottom kneeling for years (well before it was required). He is also a technical diver with a GUE/DIR mentality, so will teach with those ideals in mind. He also teaches his students to actually be divers that will continue in the sport, not the cattle classes pushing out lessons to people who will do 5 dives and quit.

This area is filled with horrible instructors and shops. Even the one's with bigger names (Mac's, Tackle Shack, Bill Jackson's) will teach cattle classes for cheap and all skills will be done on your knees.

Your first class is the one that sets the tone. A crappy instructor will make you a crappy diver.

I have never actually taken a class directly from Robert. He mentored me into technical diving, taking his time to teach my dyrsuits and doubles without ever charging me for his time. He just enjoys teaching people the right way to dive. The students of his I've seen are excellent, safe divers who got way more mentorship and time than I've seen any other OW instructor take.

Tampa Scuba Diver Classes, Scuba Equipment Tampa FL

It is not a rocket science to get basic diving skills and be certified. It is much harder to become GOOD diver
1. You would be surprised....

2. It’s even harder to become a good diver with the majority of the agencies nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom