Old Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

followup - how did it go? Do you now have a new (old) tank? I've got several old steel 72's but only one left (LDS destroyed two of mine) with the 1/2NPT valve.

On YouTube there is a Chanel by Alec Pierce Scuba. He has TONS of vintage scuba stuff. He would be great to ask!

As others have said old valves were pipe thread and have no print between valve and tank. That is ok. People still dive with these today. When you get hydro/vis they should replace the valve orings.

followup - how did it go? Do you now have a new (old) tank? I've got several old steel 72's but only one left (LDS destroyed two of mine) with the 1/2NPT valve.

I sure hope they bought you 2 new tanks. NO ONE has the right to destroy a tank. A hydro facility can and will mark it condemned if it fails but even they can not destroy it....

@herman - they did not. So when I got certified it was with a great LDS and I never had any issues and trusted them fully. I moved and found out not all LDS are that way. At the LDS they told me they couldn't pass it because it had a liner. It wasn't until I got home that I realized they XXX'd the tank numbers!! (other tank was a valve/thread damage issue). After lots of calls, talking to Mark from PSIcylinders.com - I could have taken the shop to small claims but found a better lds and just moved on. Of course, I will never recommend them and tell anyone who is getting into diving about them. New shop/hydro guy actually gave me several old tanks that I tumbled and got re-certified - so in the end I can now do my own visuals, have A LOT more information/knowledge about tanks, I did lose some trust in humanity/lds overall, but found another lds I can trust again. I love my old steel's - they are also great for my two boys (now 11/13). Basically same weight as an AL63. If I find more, I'll take 'em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom