As tech diver, diving single tank no-deco rec. in trim, what is your waist/hip lead?

As tech diver, diving single tank no-deco rec. in trim, what is your ditchable weight?

• None ditchable

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • 1-2 lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-6 lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • 7+ lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Other location ditchable

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Rec small double side mount, none ditchable

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Rec small double side mount, 1-4 lb. ditchable

• Rec small double side mount, 5+ lb. ditchable

• Not tech trained, 0-2 ditchable

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Not tech trained, 3+ lb. ditchable

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my 6lb. steel backplate, I don't need weight wearing a wetsuit or drysuit using single or double aluminum cylinders.

Most of the time tec divers do not have any ditchable weight. Between double steel tanks and plate. However in tec diving you have redundant boayancy devices either dual bladder bc or bc and dry suit. Most likely also have a lift bag.

So IF you do not have redundant buoyancy it is a good idea to have ditchable weight but if you are properly weighted your weight will not stop you from swimming to the surface.

Most of the time tec divers do not have any ditchable weight. Between double steel tanks and plate. However in tec diving you have redundant boayancy devices either dual bladder bc or bc and dry suit. Most likely also have a lift bag.

So IF you do not have redundant buoyancy it is a good idea to have ditchable weight but if you are properly weighted your weight will not stop you from swimming to the surface.

I was curious how tech divers, people with a strong ingrained preference for in-trim, personally distribute their non-tank ballast to be in trim, when NOT diving tech. A light enough single tank so they do have ballast to spare. Not what they do or have to do when wearing heavy doubles.

Yes, they might be dry, which gives redundancy. These surveys only allow 10 options and don't allow a multi variable grid. A redundant bladder is less likely on a single tank wing. At least a small DSMB is likely for ocean, but isn't much redundancy and is slow to deploy. I'm not sure about a lift bag on a rec. dive, also slow to deploy.

Where, waist/hip, is sort of as interesting as if it is actually carried ditchable. But, after the first answer, the survey can't change, except to add. I think the survey and intro post still captures the essence. At least the elaborations have been describing where the ballast is put, and how much there was, such as steel plate + how much lead where. And the elaborations do not seem out of sync with the poll results distribution under either interpretation (a typically ditchable spot v.s. only if actually ditchable).

Thanks to all the people who have answered and for the multi variable elaborations they've given on their in-trim rec. weight distributions.

Whether or not ditchable is necessary, and if it is also a concern once the surface is reached, I'm trying to leave to the other thread listed in the original post, "Question about “balanced rigs” and having all ballast unditchable".

Last edited:
I was curious how tech divers, people with a strong ingrained preference for in-trim, personally distribute their non-tank ballast to be in trim, when NOT diving tech. A light enough single tank so they do have ballast to spare. Not what they do or have to do when wearing heavy doubles.

Yes, they might be dry, which gives redundancy. These surveys only allow 10 options and don't allow a multi variable grid. A redundant bladder is less likely on a single tank wing. At least a small DSMB is likely for ocean, but isn't much redundancy and is slow to deploy. I'm not sure about a lift bag on a rec. dive, also slow to deploy.

Where, waist/hip, is sort of as interesting as if it is actually carried ditchable. But, after the first answer, the survey can't change, except to add. I think the survey and intro post still captures the essence. At least the elaborations have been describing where the ballast is put, and how much there was, such as steel plate + how much lead where.

Thanks to all the people who have answered and for the multi variable elaborations they've given on their in-trim rec. weight distributions.

Whether or not ditchable is necessary, and if it is also a concern once the surface is reached, I'm trying to leave to the other thread listed in the original post, "Question about “balanced rigs” and having all ballast unditchable".

In clarification, I like diver trim when I'm diving, it's the most comfortable position to be swimming in. My detachable weights don't change that when they aren't detached.

...Unless I need to be significantly negative and foot heavy for strong currents on the bottom where your arms do most of the work.

Occasionally a motionless drift a vertical position is nicer on the body though but still achievable with weighing for effortless horizontal trim.

Or this:
DSC_9652-01.jpeg

VERY COOL. Perfect head stand position. Very suited to purpose.

Last edited:
Do you have the weight of a heavy tank or steel plate higher, I've had trouble staying in trim with just a weight belt.
I use Al plate and Al tank with 3 - 5 kg at most, depend on thickness of the suit(3-5mm). The tank always stay low.
We all build differently so what works for me probably mean nothing to you.

Drysuit, al bp, single steel tank - about 4kg lead around the waist. Worn on a weight belt not for ditchability but for trim and ease of switching tanks.

3mm wetsuit, al bp, single al tank - no extra lead needed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom