Current Reef Health Roatan vs. Ambergris?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate Rister

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone compare/contrast current reef conditions in Roatan vs. Ambergris?

I was in Roatan in January and the reef looked pretty bad around West End. Very, very bleached, lots of algae, poor fish life, etc. My friends on the island say it has fully recovered, but I can't help but wonder if they say that to save their tourism.

I've heard Ambergris as suffered a similar fate as well.

If one was to choose between Ambergris or the West End area of Roatan, which would be best for healthier coral and abundant fish life? Anyone been to both in the past 6 months and can compare?

I was there in March and May and it looked fine to me

Hi. Just came from Roatan, a month ago, and to be honest, I hardly could see a bleached coral. I dove in West End. The aquatic life was amazing.

Can anyone compare/contrast current reef conditions in Roatan vs. Ambergris?

I was in Roatan in January and the reef looked pretty bad around West End. Very, very bleached, lots of algae, poor fish life, etc. My friends on the island say it has fully recovered, but I can't help but wonder if they say that to save their tourism.

I've heard Ambergris as suffered a similar fate as well.

If one was to choose between Ambergris or the West End area of Roatan, which would be best for healthier coral and abundant fish life? Anyone been to both in the past 6 months and can compare?

Only thing I can do is refer you to our trip report for our recent visit to Ambergris. We found the reefs to be very healthy and well-populated.

I was on Roatan about a year ago, and the hard corals at West End looked a lot better than the algae choked corals I'd seen on the south side six months earlier. The Marine Park people were actively seeking reports on water temperatures. The waters on the south side were also infested with Lion Fish at normal diving depths, the dive master killing between six and a dozen each dive! Free swimming large green Morays were also present, looking for handouts.

Dove the north side back the end of May, and the reef was in great shape. Logged 80 or so dives on the south side in the last few years and it's not in as good a shape. More lionfish there than the north side.

We dove Belize last June of 17 and there was some bleached out coral there but overall it was in decent shape.

Imho either would be fine.

Both Roatan and Belize have some pretty bad bleaching. I’d say that Roatan is in better shape than Belize; Neither look vibrant in any way. I saw a ton of red slime algae in Roatan and the fish life is nowhere near the levels of 5 years ago. Still beats out Belize especially Ambergris Caye.

Both Roatan and Belize have some pretty bad bleaching. I’d say that Roatan is in better shape than Belize; Neither look vibrant in any way. I saw a ton of red slime algae in Roatan and the fish life is nowhere near the levels of 5 years ago. Still beats out Belize especially Ambergris Caye.

Ya I was really disappointed in January. But everyone I talk to keeps saying the reef is doing great now and the fish life is back. I just don't know how the reef can possibly recover from something like that in 3 months. I feel like it's hard to get reliable information. I did look at the Mesoamerican Reef Report Card for 2017/2018 and Roatan does seem to be in better shape than Belize, coral wise. But Ambergris marine reserve is good, right? I've heard from a few people the reef isn't as pretty there, but there is more life on the reef.

Ya I was really disappointed in January. But everyone I talk to keeps saying the reef is doing great now and the fish life is back. I just don't know how the reef can possibly recover from something like that in 3 months. I feel like it's hard to get reliable information. I did look at the Mesoamerican Reef Report Card for 2017/2018 and Roatan does seem to be in better shape than Belize, coral wise. But Ambergris marine reserve is good, right? I've heard from a few people the reef isn't as pretty there, but there is more life on the reef.

People's experience and time frames differ. There can also be variability between individual dive sites.
I was in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago and thought the corals looked pretty good. Fish populations are still down, but I only saw one immature lion fish in ten dives. As I mentioned in another thread, I saw more conch than I have in decades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom