What drysuit undergarments are you wearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theiszy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im cold, ive tried some different stuff to get warm in my drysuit but not having the best luck. Im in Melbourne and want to know what fellow Melbournians have under their Trilaminate drysuits to stay warm.

I just got the hollis base layer to go with my hollis 260 undergarment. But after trying it on at home i dont reckon itll be warm enough.
Im considering getting the hollis 450. Does anyone have that?

Not in Australia but here is what I use under my tri lam suits, depending on water temperature.
Always wear Hot Chilly base layer.
20-24C I use a Whites 200g
Down to 10C I wear a Whites Thermal Fusion or Fourth Element Arctic
Below that I wear Fourth Element Halo3D

Not sure I can offer much advice, since I dove a wetsuit down to about 6C for a long time. However, these days I wear a wicking long-sleeve runner's shirt and similar running tights as a base layer under whatever thermal protection I'm using. They seem to make a significant difference.

I'm not in Melbourne but hope to be there in January or February 2019. :)

With my trilaminate suit...
In 35 to 55F water I wear Fourth Element Arctic with Under Armour Base 2.0 or 4.0. Sometimes use my DUI XM 450 with UA Base for really cold water but prefer not to as it's quite lofty.
When it's 56 to 75F I wear the UA Base with UA Cold Gear track pants and fleece sweater or maybe my DUI 200gram fleece vest.
I always wear 1 or 2 pairs of wool socks depending on how cold it will get.

Cheers.

My Weezle Extreme is the warmest thing I've got, by a significant margin over the runner-up Halo 3D.

I wear a thin base layer, 4th Element Xerotherm, and Halo 3D. It the water is really cold, I throw in a heated vest for good measure. Great Lakes temps are typically 39°F-44°F at depth, and this combo works for cold water scootering too.

Thanks for the replies so far, ive been looking up some fo the suits that have been mentioned. It seems most (aside from the 4th Element) are hard to find in Australia.

Has anyone tried using feather down jackets under a drysuits. Like goose down or duck down. I would tjink they would give alot of loft.

Has anyone tried using feather down jackets under a drysuits. Like goose down or duck down. I would tjink they would give alot of loft.

You really need a material that retains warmth when wet. For one thing, considerable condensate will collect inside the insulation of suits that *don't* have a leak. Then there's what happens if (well, when) you do have a leak. Down doesn't insulate well when wet.

Hey

Melbourne diver here. I run the Otter Poler D gear.

Cheers

Nate

Back
Top Bottom