12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to play the bad luck guy, but it's not finished. They have zero scuba experience (to not talk about cave diving in severe environment) and there's some heavy rain coming. I hope they have already the evacuation plan in place, because they are 13 and it's not exactly like walking (otherwise they would have escaped already my themselves).
Let's wait and hope for the best before to celebrate.
Yep, true. The divers had to go 2 miles to get to them, and "Divers were finally able to reach the group after enlarging a narrow, submerged passageway that had been too small for them to get through while wearing their air tanks." The two Brit divers were first, but more will follow with food & supplies the 13 have not had for over a week in that cold, wet cave. With that huge army of workers, it'll be quite the invasion.

Remind me to include in my 'gone diving' note to specifically exclude you from a search party in the event I ever go missing. :)
You don't carry a PLB diving? I never leave home without mine, anywhere. Of course, it wouldn't help in a cave.

Kind of diving related.
Very dive related now. Just think, all these boys are going to a "Discover Scuba" to get out. Wow.

Option a) it will not rain and they will walk out with the head above the water level, with some assistance;
Option b) heavy rain will start again and they'll be forced to move out underwater, in this case there would be no likeness with what we experienced as indoctrination to the scuba diving, they'll wear a dive helmet and will be guided out (proven to be used in many other rescue situations), there's no way they could use a regulator or even (maybe) a full face mask, a very dangerous situation considering the environment and the persons involved. I hope for the water level to go down so they'll be able to just "walk" outside, otherwise it'll be very hard for the rescued and the rescuers.

This is the passage(s):

upload_2018-7-3_1-42-49.png

Guys are in the "pattaya beach", rescue divers have set a intermediate point in the chamber right before it, if the water level goes down, they can escape... if the rain start to fall again it'll be much harder.

Last edited:
I think they are past Pattaya Beach, that chamber was flooded. The other alternative is to drill a rescue shaft. Which requires a very big drill rig be set up within a mile or two of the location, I have no idea if that is even possible, much less practical.

I cant see them ever considering any type of scuba related exit. terrible viz after what can only be an indescribable stressful experience almost guarantees one or more will panic,and likely drown. This would be a last chance saloon option. They have pumps running so I would expect them to try and set up some type of livable base camp in the cave until the water receeds, in the meantime use what pumps they can to try and control the water levels. It could be sometime before they see daylight but imagine they joy they must have felt seeing those divers lights coming closer in the water. 10 days without food, i would have eaten my leg before then!. very brave boys, my fingers and toes are crossed for their safe return and a happy ending to this saga.

Dang, CNN interviewee talking of maybe a 4 month timeline...either dive out (which EVERYONE acknowledges is incredibly dangerous), or walk out, which might be up to 4 months in the future as rainy season just started and heavy rains already expected in a day or two.

Swimming a non cave trained diver out through a few kilometers of zero viz turbulent water with heavy flow and tight restrictions sounds like a bad idea, even worse would be towing a dehydrated, starved, non dive trained child through the same...

Said with total respect for all involved and their rescue plans/solutions.

Poor kids had a rough stay already - dark, cold, hungry, not knowing. I guess they have been rationing what lights they took in for 10 days. I'm sure having the rescuers as company for now along with food & supplies will help a lot.
Swimming a non cave trained diver out through a few kilometers of zero viz turbulent water with heavy flow and tight restrictions sounds like a bad idea, even worse would be towing a dehydrated, starved, non dive trained child through the same...

Said with total respect for all involved and their rescue plans/solutions.
I know, but still the lessor of poor choices. One hero per child, one pair at a time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom