Where to dive in July/august ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexcy

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm planning to go and visit Australia for the first time in july and august. I'll be there three weeks to visit my sister who studies in Melbourne. So I would like to know if there are any good spots to dive near Melbourne, especially at this time of the year which might not be the best for diving i heard..
Thanks in advance
Alexcy

Lots of spots but very cold water at that time of the year.

So I would like to know if there are any good spots to dive near Melbourne, especially at this time of the year which might not be the best for diving i heard.
Port Lincoln is near by Aussie standards. The shark dive there is a bucket list item for some. July/August is good.

Wouldn’t really say Port Lincoln is near Melbourne though...even by Aussie standards tbh!

Perhaps @nato might want to comment as a local Melbourne diver. He’s going to take me to see the weedy seadragons one of these days :)

Plenty of nice pier, wall and wreck dives close to Melbourne. Weedy seadragons are almost guaranteed at Flinders pier. Sponges, rays, octopus and squid at other piers on the Mornington Peninsula. Great wall and wreck dives from boats leaving Portsea or Queenscliff. Look up RedBoats to see their schedule.
But it will be cold at that time of year, water can be rough, and some dives (especially some wall dives) may have currents. You'll want at least a 7mm wetsuit (can be hired from many dive shops) but ideally a drysuit if you are experienced in wearing one.

To follow on from Elmo there options galore. As a starting point what diving are you into? That will assist us with some more specific recommendations.

In terms of shore dives I would consider

1. Blairgowrie Marina
2. Flinders pier
3 Rye pier

To be some of the most user friendly shore dives with a max depth of 6 meters. The beauty of 1 and 2 is that if the conditions are poor at either of them they are generally good at the other due to them being on the other side of the peninsula.

4. Mornington pier is a little deeper 9 ish meters. nothing under the pier to see however if you head under the pier you can pop out on the other side with some rock walls to explore. Note... Take a knife there is epic amounts of fishing line there.

For the other side of the bay check out Cottages by the sea as an option. This is in the open ocean so take extra care and do your research on the site. I can promise there is nothing at any of these dive sites worth dying for.

If you are into wrecks then consider

1.HMAS Canberra (AOW)
2. Eliza Ramsden (OW)
3. Lady Cheryl (ow)
4 J class subs (AOW)

there are many more these are just the ones that came to mind.

I could go on for hours.. but I wont.. so feel free to message me if you need any more info

I am fortunate enough to dive with a mate off his own boat so if we are heading out I can let you know.

Final note.. Rug up you will be hitting water about 8ish C and not much more topside.

All the best. Enjoy your time in Melbourne and dive safe

Cheers

Nate

First of all , thanks to all of you for the answers
what's for sure is that port Lincoln is very far away from Melbourne for french standards! I guess plane is the standard way of travelling in Australia ^^
Thanks Nato, i'll check out those diving sites, i don't really like cold waters but i'm used to it, so it'll be fine with a suit. I don't plan on diving on my own, I'll go with a diving instructor, it's safer.
And what about the Queensland? Just out of curiousity, because i probably won't have time to go there. I know it's far, but is it worth it in july/August?

This will be the best time to see Manta Ray at Lady Elliot Island, GBR. Nearest airport is Hervey Bay. Just came back and got some great sightings of the Mantas!

Hello everyone,
I'm planning to go and visit Australia for the first time in july and august. I'll be there three weeks to visit my sister who studies in Melbourne. So I would like to know if there are any good spots to dive near Melbourne, especially at this time of the year which might not be the best for diving i heard..
Thanks in advance
Alexcy

Melbourne Shore Dives - The Scuba Doctor

looks like plenty of marine life

First of all , thanks to all of you for the answers
what's for sure is that port Lincoln is very far away from Melbourne for french standards! I guess plane is the standard way of travelling in Australia ^^
Thanks Nato, i'll check out those diving sites, i don't really like cold waters but i'm used to it, so it'll be fine with a suit. I don't plan on diving on my own, I'll go with a diving instructor, it's safer.
And what about the Queensland? Just out of curiousity, because i probably won't have time to go there. I know it's far, but is it worth it in july/August?
Yes, worth it. Whale migration time. But booked out long in advance for liveaboards for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom