Considering a new computer

Which Dive computer would you recommend

• Cressi Console Giotto 3

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Cressi Console Leonardo 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rabe wrote,

Because Fireman Tom's (the OP's) profile says he wants to go through the ranks and become an instructor and dive shop owner. Being from Ontario, he has easy access to some of the best wreck diving on earth in his backyard. Rising through the ranks there might call for a Shearwater. :D

Thanks for posting this. I posted that in my profile to keep my options open. I could see me operating at shop and being an instructor (as we dont have an instructor at our local shop). So finding a need and an opening is right there. I live in a small town in Northern Ontario where work is hard to find, so if I can spot a need and capitalize on it I might just do it. But again thank you for your knowledge and I will definitely be looking into what Shearwater offers.

You know, this is a public forum where incredibly experienced people (Hi, Trace!) freely give advice to new divers. It's not a legal deposition.

The OP is a very new diver and got some random recommendation from an LDS that his choices were basically these two models, made by one company. Do you really think that he is best served by ONLY getting answers limited to his very specific question? That he should ignore every other consideration because he HAS to get a Leonardo or a Cressi? That anyone here with any other opinion should just keep quiet if they can't help with the critical decision between those two computers?

Thank you for your reply. I agree 100% and welcome other makes and models people throw at me. In the end it is what I decide to buy. However, I was only told about 2 and if I had to make a decision between them is why I made the post. However, I knew that there will be people posting about you should look into xxx computer. I highly recommend other peoples experience with other either of the 2 originally posted or with the one they dive with. I do the same with subjects I am familiar with. If you dont post other suggestions, you wont know what is out there.

Go back and read my post. Did I say anything about Shearwater? My response was to the comment that all answers in this forum MUST be limited to the exact question asked by the OP.

I make this point all the time. It’s especially relevant when the OP is a very new diver and asks a very limited question. If you were someone’s instructor or mentor, would you respond like that in person? Why should it be different here?

I see where you are coming from and I agree my post was limited. I probably should have added something like or is there another computer out there that would better suit me. Again, I am very grateful for all the posts that I have received and am not taking offense to any post that has offered me more insight as to what to look for.

Actually, that's not true. They usually don't recommend a very expensive computer, they usually recommend a Shearwater. Which are expensive, so a more important question might be what is the OPs budget.

The main "bells and whistles" that cause people to recommend Shearwater are:

- Incredible customer support
- Phenomenal engineering and build quality
- Terrific durability and service life
- Great readability
- Logically laid out user interface, easily simplified for recreational diving
- Accurate and well integrated compass
- Reliable link for uploading dive data to a log
- Ease of user battery replacement anywhere, with the ubiquitous AA battery
- A development team that responds to user input
- A responsive presence on social media for questions (eg on ScubaBoard in the manufacturer's forum)

Note that every one of these things would be a reasonable consideration for a new diver buying their first dive computer. Yes, there are other tech and CCR related aspects of the Shearwater line, but they rarely come up in these recommendations for new divers. And if the money is an issue, then don't look at these computers, that's fine.

But have a little perspective. All of us are engaging in a very expensive hobby, and the difference between a $850 Perdix and a $350 Cressi might well be used up in two days of a Caribbean dive trip. So it's not SUCH a ridiculous suggestion.

Hey, you make a good product, you get a lot of fans!

I agree. If a company makes a great product and someone is inquiring about said product, I would go and advocate for that company as well. The price tag on the other hand is a scare factor and I agree that $850 could be better spent else where if a $350 computer could do something similar. However end goal might be to save for the expensive one. All my hobbies are quite expensive so I am juggling between spending money on everything. I also hope my kids want to experience SCUBA diving, they are young at the moment, so I hope when I buy my equipment now, they will be able to use it when they get into the sport. Having dove for a couple years with older equipment that I have obtained, I am starting to buy my own stuff to upgrade and get what I want ex a weight integrated BCD. But I thought a computer would be a better start as I am still ok with my setup that I have.

Thanks for your input. I have been a diver for a little while now but am just now getting into it a lot more. I am looking for an entry level computer. No really looking to get into mix gasses or anything. But I will look into all aspects before I make a final decision. Might start out with one of the ones I posted about first and upgrade to a more advanced computer when I get more heavily into diving.
That's exactly what I did!
I started with the Giotto, then I've decided to go into tec diving, therefore I got the Perdix (and the Giotto is my back up computer, which you'll need fot tec) :D

You're a very bright and polite fellow, Tom. Enjoy the journey.

Hi, Tom....

Thanks for your polite and thorough replies to each of us. You are a breath of fresh air (hah!).

I think that the main issue that I felt the need to comment on has very little to do with dive computers. I didn't like the fact that for some reason you felt that had to choose between two random models, because of something that a local dive shop employee told you. I also don't like it when folks complain about any answer that isn't limited to the exact wording of the original question. As you have seen, sometimes there are relevant issues beyond that limit.

Now we do want to support local dive shops in general, and maybe there was just some miscommunication. I think that you realize now that there are other models to consider.

But here's the bottom line - ANY modern dive computer will safely track your nitrogen loading on air or Nitrox, and will make your chance of getting bent incredibly small (although never zero).

Dive safe and enjoy!

maybe just one more thing to consider, i don't know how old you are but if closing in on 40 just be wary of a wrist mount that has small numbers. A wrist mount is good but a watch size will have a smaller display and maybe not so good for changing eyes. just an extra thought for you to consider....Enjoy

maybe just one more thing to consider, i don't know how old you are but if closing in on 40 just be wary of a wrist mount that has small numbers. A wrist mount is good but a watch size will have a smaller display and maybe not so good for changing eyes. just an extra thought for you to consider....Enjoy
As a fresh new 40 years old, but long time blind, the Cressi is good trust me: big numbers that can be seen even by a mole like me...

Both are fine computers. The Giotto is a 3 button computer and slightly easier to use than the 1 button Leonardo. They use a RGBM algorithm which is conservative but fine for recreational diving. I’m not sure why he is recommending a console. Personally, I would get a wrist based computer and separate SPG. Gives you more flexibility as you advance.

Ignore the “your LDS sells Cressi” comments. Every LDS sells Cressi. It’s a good starter computer and has excellent customer service from the manufacturer.

Great post. I have a Shearwater Perdix AI now but my Leonardo is still my backup. I bought my girlfriend a Giotto. Honestly, not much wrong with either for rec diving. They both work as advertised with my slight preference for the three buttons on the Giotto. Leonardo is way easier to use with dry gloves on with its single button.

Back
Top Bottom