Considering a new computer

Which Dive computer would you recommend

• Cressi Console Giotto 3

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Cressi Console Leonardo 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. If a company makes a great product and someone is inquiring about said product, I would go and advocate for that company as well. The price tag on the other hand is a scare factor and I agree that $850 could be better spent else where if a $350 computer could do something similar. However end goal might be to save for the expensive one. All my hobbies are quite expensive so I am juggling between spending money on everything. I also hope my kids want to experience SCUBA diving, they are young at the moment, so I hope when I buy my equipment now, they will be able to use it when they get into the sport. Having dove for a couple years with older equipment that I have obtained, I am starting to buy my own stuff to upgrade and get what I want ex a weight integrated BCD. But I thought a computer would be a better start as I am still ok with my setup that I have.
1. $350.00 can buy two computers if you shop around. Even the cheapie can be set on gauge mode and use as bottom timer for tec dive. And there are tec dive agencies who do not advocate the use of computer for tec dive!!!! I dive with two rec computer for rec dive and two bottom timers for tec dive for nearly 20yrs. My tec dive is nothing to write home about but it does involve 30 mins of deco time on 50% and 100%O2.
2. If you have a young family then you should look at BP/W set up!! It is more versatile than jacket especially in terms of size.

@Fireman Tom your avatar says you live in Ontario. What part of Ontario do you live in? The reason that I ask is that while your LDS carries and recommends Cressi, there may be other dive shops nearby that may offer other options.

For example, I live in what is often referred to as the "Tri-City area". We have 3 dive shops in KW who each carry different product lines. If I am willing to drive 45 minutes, there are more in Oakville and Burlington that are very good.

If you live in or near the GTHA, then you would have dozens of dive shops to choose from. OTOH, if you live in say North Bay, Subury or Kapaskasing, then your options may be somewhat more limited.

Your LDS is just that, local. There may be other options if you are willing or able to go a little further.

If I may add one piece of advice, get what is right and what makes sense for you. Don't get what is right and makes sense for your LDS. It is not only your money, but it is you who will need to interpret the info that the dive computer is displaying when you are on a dive.

You're a very bright and polite fellow, Tom. Enjoy the journey.

Thank you for the kind complement. I am very much looking forward to the journey ahead. I personally had a year from hell last year (2017) and have found diving to be a great escape for me. Relaxes me, calms my nerves etc. Since all my hobbies are expensive I need to share the wealth around lol.

Safe Diving

Hi, Tom....

Thanks for your polite and thorough replies to each of us. You are a breath of fresh air (hah!).

I think that the main issue that I felt the need to comment on has very little to do with dive computers. I didn't like the fact that for some reason you felt that had to choose between two random models, because of something that a local dive shop employee told you. I also don't like it when folks complain about any answer that isn't limited to the exact wording of the original question. As you have seen, sometimes there are relevant issues beyond that limit.

Now we do want to support local dive shops in general, and maybe there was just some miscommunication. I think that you realize now that there are other models to consider.

But here's the bottom line - ANY modern dive computer will safely track your nitrogen loading on air or Nitrox, and will make your chance of getting bent incredibly small (although never zero).

Dive safe and enjoy!

Thanks for the kind complement. In my mind, if someone has taken the time to reach out and answer my question, the least I can do is reply saying I have read it and am considering what they have stated.

There are a lot of great points that people have brought forward that I was unaware of. I welcome knowledge (can never have too much). I thought there would have been more to choose from as well, however my local dive shop probably took what I wanted and thought those two would be the better starting ones that I'd be interested in. easy to use, size etc. until I get comfortable with it and then say the more advanced ones are these and maybe consider them after.

@Fireman Tom your avatar says you live in Ontario. What part of Ontario do you live in? The reason that I ask is that while your LDS carries and recommends Cressi, there may be other dive shops nearby that may offer other options.

For example, I live in what is often referred to as the "Tri-City area". We have 3 dive shops in KW who each carry different product lines. If I am willing to drive 45 minutes, there are more in Oakville and Burlington that are very good.

If you live in or near the GTHA, then you would have dozens of dive shops to choose from. OTOH, if you live in say North Bay, Subury or Kapaskasing, then your options may be somewhat more limited.

Your LDS is just that, local. There may be other options if you are willing or able to go a little further.

If I may add one piece of advice, get what is right and what makes sense for you. Don't get what is right and makes sense for your LDS. It is not only your money, but it is you who will need to interpret the info that the dive computer is displaying when you are on a dive.

I am located in Parry Sound (fake Northern Ontario). My next closest dive shop is an hour away in Gravenhurst, Bracebridge, Huntsville area. Other then that its an hour and a half to Barrie, Sudbury, Orillia.

I agree, I will be getting what is best for me. Those are the 2 that he mentioned and I was going to look into others. But since those were the 2 that he recommended I wanted to put feelers out to see if people had experience with either of the 2 models or if they would recommend something different because of features or easy to use etc. I try to over do all my research on products before I buy something. I almost want to be the expert on the product when I am buying it.

Great post. I have a Shearwater Perdix AI now but my Leonardo is still my backup. I bought my girlfriend a Giotto. Honestly, not much wrong with either for rec diving. They both work as advertised with my slight preference for the three buttons on the Giotto. Leonardo is way easier to use with dry gloves on with its single button.

Thanks for your input. That is a great point that I haven't considered. Being Canada and the cold waters we have I never thought about use with a glove on. When I go look at computers I will now be bringing a glove to see about using the computer with it on (if needed)

maybe just one more thing to consider, i don't know how old you are but if closing in on 40 just be wary of a wrist mount that has small numbers. A wrist mount is good but a watch size will have a smaller display and maybe not so good for changing eyes. just an extra thought for you to consider....Enjoy

Thanks for the reply. A great point about size of the face and being able to see. I'm early 30's but as another poster said but long time blind. I will look into seeing them in operation before I purchase it. I do have a mask that has a prescription insert in it (my prescription in my glasses is so minimal I don't need them for day to day tasks). I will take all that into consideration when I do make my purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom