We need a button that says "do a search, this exact topic was discussed last week!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
... and place the button beside the 'like' button.

control-C, control-V. Copy and past links to the old threads.

Not that I have a handy list of them, but if something comes up that I care enough to not see exactly repeated for the n-th time, I do a quick search of what threads I know existed, and past them as 'some prior discussions, X, Y, Z may be helpful'. Helps the questioner, and if they have further questions they will be from a broader background.

"We" don't need no [more] stinging buttons...

Personally, l like seeing topics rehashed. Many times we hear new views from folks that didn’t post on previous threads.

control-C, control-V. Copy and past links to the old threads.

Not that I have a handy list of them, but if something comes up that I care enough to not see exactly repeated for the n-th time, I do a quick search of what threads I know existed, and past them as 'some prior discussions, X, Y, Z may be helpful'. Helps the questioner, and if they have further questions they will be from a broader background.

Personally, l like seeing topics rehashed. Many times we hear new views from folks that didn’t post on previous threads.

From 2012 : A question about Scuba Board posting etiquette

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." :wink:

Absolutely. I think @MichaelMc 's suggestion works well. By adding links to older threads on the same topic, at least the threads become connected, and people who happen across the newer thread will know there are other threads to read. Many times I have found the answer I was looking for only by jumping back and forth among various threads on a topic.

There used to be constant suggestions to "do a search" and while often understandable, it came across as not very friendly. To me it seems there are actually fewer people saying that anymore, and maybe less cases where you would feel a need to than in the past. Perhaps people in general are getting better at this sort of thing.

A better way to handle it if you feel the need, is to look up a few of the threads yourself. Then post then with something like "I remember a few threads about that and searched for them for you, here you go." That's friendlier and actually useful and hints at the whole search thing. (It's truly often easier to find the perfect thread you recall reading, than someone unfamiliar just searching for it from scratch, and probably getting buried in stuff. I mean I've been on here a long time and sometimes I have trouble finding a thread I read yesterday, what chance does a newbie to the board have?)

Occasionally there's someone who appears lazy, but I think more often it's people who are new and unfamiliar with the quirks of search on Scubaboard, if they've found it at all. Or really don't understand yet how big the board is and how likely it is their question has already been answered/that they are not unique.

. . . Occasionally there's someone who appears lazy, but I think more often it's people who are new and unfamiliar with the quirks of search on Scubaboard, if they've found it at all. Or really don't understand yet how big the board is and how likely it is their question has already been answered/that they are not unique.

I find Google works much better than SB's own search function. Everyone knows Google, so I have to believe most people start their research by Googling their question. However, I suppose it's possible that people unfamiliar with SB might Google their question and find relevant SB threads but don't trust that those are the best answers, or that something new hasn't come to light recently, so they post a new thread. Understandable enough. Also, maybe it's a human tendency to give more weight to the most recent comments? Immediate replies to their own post may carry more weight in some people's minds than something they found by looking it up.

Back
Top Bottom