What Does PADI 5 Star Really Mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As opposed to some of the NON PADI GURU's on this board,this is how PADI discribes the 5* facility

It would be nice if questions about a cert.organisation would be answered by MEMBERS of that organisation.

I don't see how any of that differs to what Walter posted - would you care to explain?

PS the best part about this thread was that when I was reading it there was a PADI ad banner at the top

If a shop does not have the 5 Star, are they limited on their courses they train or specialize in?
As has been mentioned above, there are apparently a few specific limitations as to what PADI-affiliated shops that are not "five-star" can do. On the other hand, there are significant limitations as to what PADI-affiliated shops that *are* "five-star" can do.

If you want one viewpoint, that being the PADI way, you can find everything you need at a PADI "five-star" shop. If you want to shop around for your education, perhaps taking a similarly-named but completely different course from another agency, a PADI "five-star" shop would be directly prohibited from providing that.

My personal feelings are such that I value independence of thought more highly than enforced consistency (which I believe may prevent gross incompetence but at the expense of eliminating excellence). For someone philosophically similar to me, PADI "five-star" shops seem misguided and are always approached with caution. On the other hand, if you value the assurance of consistency over the potential for greatness (which comes with the possibility of weakness), looking for PADI "five-star" shops can be useful guide.

(Incidentally, we have the same philosophical tug-of-war in education. There is the side that says that freedom to teach is of utmost importance. They point out that all the excellent teachers fit in that category. Then there is the side that says that consistency is of utmost importance. They point out that if everyone had to teach the standards, the whole standards, and nothing but the standards, we could eliminate the poor end of the teaching scale. The debate will never end.)

As opposed to some of the NON PADI GURU's on this board,this is how PADI discribes the 5* facility

It would be nice if questions about a cert.organisation would be answered by MEMBERS of that organisation.
Then there could not be any answers, technically PADI does not have members, they only have customers.

Last edited:
Hi,

I don't want to start any org bashing or name calling with this question.

What I'm wondering is what the designation of being a "PADI 5 Star" facility really tells a diver?

It seems every LDS or dive location that is PADI certified, is a 5 star facility, so, is there such a thing as a 3 star?

Brian
Walters reqs are straight from PADI standards. Just ignore his other bull****.

You must be a PADI Five Star to do an Assistant Instructor Course
You must be a PADI Five Star and NatGeo Store to do a National Geographic Course
You must be a PADI Five Star Instructor Development Center and have a Course Director on staff to do an Instructor Course
PADI Five Star Centers get a 5% discount (above and beyond their buying level) on dealer purchases.
PADI Five Star Centers must only advertise, promote and do PADI Courses unless it is not offered by PADI.

This is what I thought... You can't just open up a shop and starting doing IDC, cant you? Or is it you can't open a "PADI Affiliated" IDC? Is there even a difference?

If the NAUI people were smart, they'd open some 6-star dive centers. :eyebrow::D

Like the reverse of 7 Minute Abs?

A
Does this have anything to do with the training the shops provide? Such as IDC training and specialties? Is this something I should look for when choosing my shop for continued ed?
Actually yes. Must be a five star facility initially to begin to qualify as a five star IDC facility. A five star center can only teach up to assistant instructor if it has a IDC staff instructor associated with it. A independent IDC staff instructor cannot teach a AI course if not associated with a five star facility. To conduct an IDC at the facility must have a course director and be a five star IDC facility.

Last edited:
10 years later the thread has risen from the ashes.

Have the requirements for a 5-star facility changed?

10 years later the thread has risen from the ashes.

I saw the message when I replied that said it was old, but I didn't look at the date to see it was THAT old. :)

Actually yes. Must be a five star facility initially to begin to qualify as a five star IDC facility. A five star center can only teach up to assistant instructor if it has a IDC staff instructor associated with it. A independent IDC staff instructor cannot teach a AI course if not associated with a five star facility. To conduct an IDC at the facility must have a course director and be a five star IDC facility.

So can a course director get a job at any dive shop and make instructors? It HAS to be a 5-star?

I saw the message when I replied that said it was old, but I didn't look at the date to see it was THAT old. :)

So can a course director get a job at any dive shop and make instructors? It HAS to be a 5-star?
Five star IDC facility,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom