Can someone tell me the best (least expensive) way to rent a truck without a dive package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going back to Bonaire in two weeks for the 4th time and always did some sort of dive and drive package. But this time I'd like to just rent the truck and pay for the tanks used a la carte rather than unlimited shore tank dive package. I looked up pricing for AB Car rental on their website. By the time you rent a double cab automatic truck for 8 days, it's $300 plus $88 for CDW, plus $23.28 location fee plus $24.68 sales tax, plus $32 for govt. tax or $467.96. That doesn't even cover full coverage. Does that sound about right or is there some way to get a truck for less with some sort of non scuba tank dive plan? I'm staying at Divi and shore diving, no or very little boat diving. Thanks for any help. Hotel and flight are booked.

They are all about in that range. I have used AB, Island and Telerin and they all work about the same. Are you planning on doing very little diving? The unlimited air is pretty cheap. Divi does not include Nitrox at no charge. If you are not going to use Divi for air I would just get a truck and air from AB.

I was planning on doing most all shore dives renting nitrox from Divi. And although most of the other times I'd do 24 dives, (when I stayed at Plaza Resort with unlimited nitrox) this last time with a non diver friend I just did 14 dives staying at Divi. May do a similar amount and pay a la carte. If that rental car pricing was in line, I'll just go with it. Thanks

We use Voyager, I think it's a bit cheaper. You get a free day after renting for 7.We really like the owners, John and Jennifer, and they will pick you up at the airport. Tell them Beth sent you.
voyagereventscarrental@hotmail.com

You might try Fairmiles, Matt. Basically, a guy who owns a bunch of trucks, probably spooled off by the big companies. Cash only, very simple contract, no insurance extras, if it breaks get a ride back to town and call him, and leave the key under the mat in the short-term lot when you're done. Wingle for 14 days was $632 including tax and all-risk. As the email I rec'd from Rene (the guy) said, "Extra drivers, airport service, local fee, environment fee, 24/7 service, child chair etc... Included." The truck was a beater but it got us everywhere and looked local (I think there was a little decal somewhere).

You might try Fairmiles, Matt. Basically, a guy who owns a bunch of trucks, probably spooled off by the big companies. Cash only, very simple contract, no insurance extras, if it breaks get a ride back to town and call him, and leave the key under the mat in the short-term lot when you're done. Wingle for 14 days was $632 including tax and all-risk. As the email I rec'd from Rene (the guy) said, "Extra drivers, airport service, local fee, environment fee, 24/7 service, child chair etc... Included." The truck was a beater but it got us everywhere and looked local (I think there was a little decal somewhere).

Hi Beth. I'm looking for a rental too. Ok if I use your name with Voyager?
Thanks.
Kathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom