Lost a possible job opportunity due to being a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a new one on me. When I wurked in the corporate world, most of the big companies in the area sponsored (among others) employee dive clubs...
Although, I'm sure that scuba is one of the reasons that I have never, ever been able to purchase life insurance.

I had a chance for a Gov't Contractor job transfer, servicing the Global Hawk Drone Avionics, to Andersen AFB Guam -gateway to the Indo-Pacific/Oceania Region and the best tropical diving on the planet- but that was first contingent on doing a year's assignment at Bagram AFB Afghanistan.

Even with the extra hazardous duty pay bonus, I still turned down the offer. . .

On that note: I once had an assignment that would involve living in a tent in the dry valleys of Antarctica for a month at a time. I said that I'd only do it if I could spend the following month on an Australian beach. At the time, I didn't realize that Australia lays claim to much of the coastline of Antarctica...

These things are meaningless. How do they think they can enforce them? Are they even legal?

Employment "At Will". They can give you conditions and ask you to leave for any reason, and you can take it or walk away at any time. It's all about the dollar, in insurance terms and in potential lost business if someone is absent.

But you're right they don't always monitor it. But if you are in an accident while in violation of the terms, you could lose certain benefits.

Good thing all my employers didn't object to my diving... as a marine biologist, it would have been quite limiting!

I saw Dr. Bill "working" as a marine naturalist on the King Neptune. His pay for all his hard work was a free boat ride, just like a working Divemaster. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom