Lost a possible job opportunity due to being a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The recruiter was only accessing public information. "Googling" a candidate for a job is standard practice.....one of the reasons why I don't do Facebook.

That's one reason I avoid social media (Facebook, etc.). I won't even fill out 'anonymous' employee surveys at work because I think they're really used to smoke out disgruntled employees, not really improve things at work.

It's only a 'free country' if you are independently wealthy. Or maybe unemployed and too poor to take anything else from. The term 'wage slave' exists for a reason. Social media has given some HR types another surveillance option for monitoring us; at least they're not bugging our homes (yet).

Richard.

Actually, you are mistaken. I've read some very interesting new reports about Facebook patent applications providing an incredible insight into what they are up to and where they are headed as far as spying on you 24/7 at home, and elsewhere!

Funny post. During my interview I said "I wont sign if the contract doesn't let me have a <<spare time job>> as scuba instructor" and they didn't bat an eye. Later on during a lunch also mentionned I do hiking, freediving and scuba in solo and the only reaction I got was "So if you don't show up on monday morning, we'll have to assume you're in trouble?"

Interesting to see how different people can be.

This is a weird one, and I’m not really sure where it belongs....

Anyway, I was approached on LinkedIn by a corporate HR type (not outside recruiter) about a job that looked interesting. I was given a link and asked to apply. Before I had a chance to do that, they requested I NOT apply.

Turns out they found my FB page (profile pic shows me diving, my page is locked down so you can’t see anything if you’re not a friend) and consider my hobby too dangerous to be considered as a possible employee. I thought that was pretty funny.

Who knows what they would have done if they knew the other hobby (which has suffered since I started diving)! :D

What kind of job was it?

I thankfully work for a company that embraces people who are adventurous. It wasn't uncommon in the early days of this company to take all employees on an extreme mountain climbing outing. My sister works for a company that just acquired RAID. They were very thankful for her diving certifications. :)

What type of employee chooses an adventure sport? Some companies want drones, worker bees, slaves; others value creativity, innovation, self-direction, and engagement. I know which I’d rather work for. Sometimes rejection really is protection.

Current company: overseas CEO loves that I dive and is fascinated that I'm diving Great Lakes wrecks. GM got certified on vacation years ago, too claustrophobic. Direct manager/supervisor think I'm nuts, but enjoy seeing my pics/video. Coworkers love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom