12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Accuracy, or interest in correcting, could be indicative of accuracy elsewhere. Any inferences we try to make from other details is going through that same noisy channel.

An AL80 looking tank on a shoulder could be air they intend to breath or O2 they will carry out for the kid’s chamber. But that truck of white topped green bottles can not be both air and O2.

SEALS get a lot of credit, but lots of press reported a US Air Force team there first. SEALS go places and blow **** up, PJs go places and rescue people’s asses. And yes, there is long term collaboration between US and Thai military.

I think they did drop those oxygen cylinders (the non-Scuba ones, painted green with valve caps) to replenish the low-oxygen atmosphere in the cave. You don’t want those guys that staging scuba air tanks for the remaining 8 kids, the coach & 18 rescue divers to pass out from the lack of oxygen, do you?

I think they did drop those oxygen cylinders (the non-Scuba ones, painted green with valve caps) to replenish the low-oxygen atmosphere in the cave. You don’t want those guys that staging scuba air tanks for the remaining 8 kids, the coach & 18 rescue divers to pass out from the lack of oxygen, do you?

Yeah, that they may be using both oxygen tanks and air-filled scuba tanks for different purposes adds to the confusion in the reports we read.

A wonderful gesture on Elon's part but............................a herculean (almost imposible) task whichever way you look at it, especially given that time is now of the essence.

And with all due respect, non cavers / non cave divers just don't seem to get it, that is the conditions and the complexity of what the rescuers are up against 'down there'. Undestandable though, as they have nothing in their life experience 'vocabulary' shall we say to relate it to. The devil is in the details (amongst numerous other things going on there).

However, on that note, I think we may find that the rescuers are forced to use what most people would / will find unconventional methods - that at this time pre final rescue attempt are not worth debating / wasting bandwith on before the fact - to 'swim' them out. Lets see how the cookie crumbles though, but it now appears what was first looked upon as the last resort (i. e. 'swim' them out) may now be the only option (whilst, as I imply, possibly using 'unconventual' methods for the swim part). Lets see - and hope for the very best.

If they can complete this whole ordeal with 'only' the one death (may he RIP) then it will be a miracle. But miracles, or what by many are looked up as miracles, do happen! Seen 'em myself, and I am not what you would call a 'religous' man. So here's hoping.​

4 boys out so far. Water levels are “perfect” according to the governor in charge. They can walk out most of the way.

Meanwhile, Elon built a mini-rescue submarine out of left over rocket parts!

Twitter

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't get worked up over what the press calls our scuba cylinders or what's in them.

Me too, but only since about two days ago prior to which I too got all worked up about it. A couple of posts in the other thread made me see O2 as the sole essential ingredient, and now statements like 'he ran out of oxygen' actually make sense - I wouldn't be too concerned if I ran out of nitrogen under 6m, but I'd definitely want answers as to where it went!

It's nice as tech divers to know what a mix is, but as long as I put coffee into a coffee mug, add water and milk and still call it "coffee" I'm probably being hypocritical getting all upset when journalists don't care about the milk or water.

PS - before I start something, I was only kidding about putting the milk in last :)

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said:

"If, as we all hope, they are reunited with their families in the coming days and their health allows them to travel, FIFA would be delighted to invite them to attend the 2018 World Cup final in Moscow as our guests. I sincerely hope that they will be able to join us at the final, which will undoubtedly be a wonderful moment of communion and celebration.”

Let’s hope this can happen for the boys.
I hope Mr. Infantino keeps his words.
The Final is on this Sunday and I am pretty confidence all of them should be out by then and are fit enough to fly to Moscow to attend the game. Imagine the kind of welcome that they will receive.

Back
Top Bottom