Recent double hose reg training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@TrimixToo Too
Yep. Lots has changed since then, mostly for the better. I should have been more specific, though. Our text was The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving. If I get to it this weekend I'll pull it out and check the copyright date.

John

.Did you have a local dive shop at that time ? and ever more precise are they still in business?

SDM

We did, but it's gone now. It was Tommy's Hardware in Portland, ME. They sold equipment and fills, and also did some commercial diving work in the harbor nearby.

A quote from a dear friend from many years ago

"There are people in the SCUBA diving world who can speak indefinitely with great authority about a subject they have never experienced and have only minimum knowledge"

so appropriate

Seems to fit the majority of the posters to this thread
SDM

Wow, you got up on the wrong side of the bed today

Back to the topic, there is no training except "read and learn by trial and error." I got a Kraken kit from VDH. My first dive was a shallow one and I hated the way it breathed. Before I decided to sell it, I went back to the VDH site and asked some questions, and read the information on the site and some of those old books. I gave it another chance with what I had learned. The next dive went much better, and I practiced the clearing techniques. Was still getting used to the different breathing characteristics. But, during that dive, I realized how much more of the ocean I was seeing. I had not realized, before, just how much of the time bubbles are in front of your face during a dive. You eventually get to ignore it, but when I dove the DH I was amazed. By now, I have about 100 dives on it, am pretty used to it, my air consumption is back to what it was, and it is my regular "go to" dive regulator because of the view.

The new Kraken design allows an octo, an SPG, an AI computer transmitter, and an LP inflator port, so I have all the modern safety bells and whistles, and the reg breathes great. So, I am now a convert, but the learning process is strictly do-it-yourself.

I had a similar path with my Kraken... first saltwater pool 5m try-out dive went well, loved the lack of noisy bubbles past my ears even more than those obscuring my vision!
Rolling onto my back and looking up (as in looking for the boat ladder during final ascent) caused a sudden pulse of air that I was not expecting... 'chipmunk cheeks' :eek:
With more DH confidence I now use this turbo pulse of air in conjunction with rolling to my left for a very effective hose clearing technique.

The Kraken is not perfect... and there is definitely a 'relearning curve' involved in diving with one.

Some of the port locations and hose routing requires the use of angled adaptors, and using 6 can screws vs a more conventional QD stainless band clamp seems an odd design choice needlessly complicating the cleaning process IMO. A band clamp would also protect the edges of the plastic can from impact damage.

The DSV valve works very well at the surface but I would like to see both a bright orange visual condition indicator and a mechanical spring loaded lock button fixing it in either fully open or fully closed position. The boat guys would occasionally accidentally move the DSV from fully open to partially closed when handling my gear... and I needed to recheck this every dive.

More recent DH experience in PNG, diving and photographing 4-5 times a day I was struck by how close marine creatures will allow you to approach without bubbles scaring them off... I got within fingertip length of a huge school of Chevron Barracuda for example, which parted to let me right amongst them.

Bryan and the VDH R&D team should be commended for both having the vision and taking the commercial risk in developing the Kraken... it certainly caused a stir amongst every diver-photographer who saw it on my trip!

Last edited:
The DSV valve works very well at the surface but I would like to see both a bright orange visual condition indicator and a mechanical spring loaded lock button fixing it in either fully open or fully closed position. The boat guys would occasionally accidentally move the DSV from fully open to partially closed when handling my gear... and I needed to recheck this every dive.

I put the screw clamps by the DSV in position so that when it's closed, the clamps point rearward, next to the mouth piece. Wouldn't take much to paint something bright orange so you can see it in whatever position you want, maybe face forward when closed, and face up when open, although I doubt you could see it with a mask on. It's not like a rebreather HUD.

A mechanical lock could be very dangerous, especially in the event that it fails closed and the diver is unable to open it when necessary. There's a reason there's no lock on any current DSV's/BOV's.

Checking the VDH Forum, seems a positive lock on the DSV has been a popular request so Bryan has added a thumbscrew:

6 June 2018
The screw on the front of the Argonaut DSV serves two purposes.
Prevents lateral movement and is a positive stop when it is either fully open or fully closed.
I've had several requests from divers wanting to lock their DSV either the open or closed position. In the picture below is an inexpensive and easy solution. It's simply a nylon thumbscrew with a #8 O-ring on it. Put it in place of the phillips screw that came on your DSV originally and by putting more tension on the thumbscrew it will be much more difficult to turn. All new Argonaut DSV's and Argonaut Kraken regulators will have one included with them as an option for the diver if they want to use it.

Existing DSV Divers can get one simply by asking for it in the notes section of their next order though the website store.

UPDATE to Argonaut DSV - Vintage Double Hose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom