XDeep Stealth Rec/Tec hard mounting the sides of the compensator instead of bungee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vovanx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
XDeep manual recommends this:

UoGocmP.jpg

But I want to use this:

Rf09vdA.jpg

Any thoughts why NOT to use hard mount instead of bungee?

It doesn't stretch, and it's a metal-to-metal connection. In the event of an entanglement, you'd have to cut the wing instead of the replaceable bungee.

Oh, forgot to mention: I'm kinda thin person and that's exactly why I want hard connection instead of stretching bungee - because the fully inflated wing bulges too much with the bungee but its a bit better with the S/S keyring. I even use two loops of bungee as seen on the 1st photo, to make it less stretchy, instead of one loop as shown in the manual. And I have moved the flat D-ring forward as much as possible.

Why not lose the A-shaped d-rings on your waist and run the bungee directly from each side of the wing to the other through the crotch strap using a small wing tab?

That way you clean up your waist and get rid of a bunch of hardware. You can also tighten up the bungee so you get the best of both worlds..since you get rid of about 4 inches of "hard" connection by not having the boltsnap i imagine it will be more comfortable too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qnVUaYpS5HY9wFGc6

Zr72Afq4Qz17qxSa6

Last edited:
Why not lose the A-shaped d-rings on your waist and run the bungee directly from each side of the wing to the other through the crotch strap using a small wing tab?
Zr72Afq4Qz17qxSa6
Same as in Stealth Classic wing? Will try that, thank you!

Same as in Stealth Classic wing? Will try that, thank you!
Yep. it can be done with a loop of bungee on oneside and another loop on the other with a boltsnap too. If you like it i highly recommend the keeper things from Andrew Goring (he actually makes a kit to redo a couple of things on the stealth tec..I highly recommend it..)

Yep. it can be done with a loop of bungee on oneside and another loop on the other with a boltsnap too. If you like it i highly recommend the keeper things from Andrew Goring (he actually makes a kit to redo a couple of things on the stealth tec..I highly recommend it..)
Yea I like his mod - the wing looks to be much closer to the spine, exactly what I need (I have even removed the weight pocket too). Alas he does not have an online shop and sells his stuff only via Facebook, and I do not use social networks.
I will look for similar hardware and try to make a similar mod, thanks for the info.

I like it too. Helps to empty the bladder while using the deflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom