Jacket BCD where to put accessories?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I saw similar discussions, but I would like to open a new one in case something has changed in the meanwhile
I have a Scubapro X-One BCD. My accessories configuration is the following:

1) DSMB --> left pocket
2) Spool --> right pocket
3) Suunto Computer --> left wrist
4) Compass (optional) --> right wrist
5) Roll-up snorkel --> right pocket or clipped to BCD (upper left D-Ring)
6) Torch: clipped to BDC D ring (upper left D-Ring)
7) Go pro + Pole: base of the pole clipped to BCD (lower right D-ring) Go pro tied when not in use in a lanyard clipped to BCD (lower left D-ring)
8) Porcelain Line Cutter: sheath tied up to BCD

I noticed that for technical diving instructions on where to put accessories are very precise, almost standardized. While there are many configurations for recreational diving, especialy with jacket BCD

I believe there are so many configurations because it's you as the divers choice what pocket or d-ring to keep your accessories.

And the choice of what to bring varies.

My DSMB is a large one so when I have it, it is clip on.
When I bring my camera, I carry it on the right side and want the right side other wise open.
I use a reel rather than a spool.
In the ocean I usually sling an AL19 on the left.
I have a spare mask.
I have two cutters, one on a sheath attached to bcd pocket on left, one in right pocket.
I have a small tube that unfurals to a 20 ft long orange marker for "lost at sea"
When diving further offshore or on ledges I have a small strobe that goes in a pocket

Yes, this is why for me it is not always easy to understand what is useful and what is not, and where to put the different accessories
I also noticed that in Italy the Mediterranean sea is very different from the Ocean, especially places like England, Northern US, etc.
In the UK for example they always use very long DSMBs, they often wear gloves and this changes the kind of accessories they can use, etc. etc.

I am considering getting a mirror like this one
Dive Mirror
It can be used both to make signals on the surface and as a mirror during the dive

Is there a convention as to what type of equipment goes on the left or right side of the BCD?

Normally on jacket style bcd the control for the inflator is on the left so I wear my computer on my right wrist so when I'm ascending I can be able to deflate my bc and have a little more flexibility on where my computer is just my preference I have my dsmb hung because of its size and the spool is with it my extra mask is in my right pocket

In technical diving, most of us wear our computer/depth gauge on our right wrist for use with a DPV. We hold the DPV handle and trigger with our right hand. Having the computer/gauge there means we can see our depth and time information easily without having to move the left hand forward into the "breeze" when on full trigger. There is a safety by-product for doing this. With the computer/gauge on the right wrist, we can also see our depth and time information during a rescue. If we need to keep a regulator in an unconscious or toxing diver's mouth, using the right hand is preferred because it frees the left hand for buoyancy control (BCD's and drysuits of both rescuer and victim). Having the computer on the right wrist would benefit recreational divers as well for the same reasons.

Again, because of the DPV, the right pocket tends to contain the equipment we shouldn't have to use during the dive (so the right hand can hold the DPV handle) while the left pocket contains the equipment we are planning to use. We shouldn't have to pull out a spare mask or a slate or notebook so those go in the right pocket. Spools, reels, bags, compasses, cameras, etc. go in the left.

Thought I would share so you could adjust your recreational equipment load based upon safety and whether or not you want to use a recreational DPV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom