Too Much Wetsuit for SoCal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdavo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning to buy my first wetsuit soon, and have been looking at the Bare 8/7MM Velocity Ultra Hooded Semi-dry. I like the integrated hood, and their MT size seems like it would be a good fit for me - I'm 6'2", 175-180 lbs. I plan to buy local and try it on before buying.

My question is - will this be too much wetsuit for SoCal diving? I mostly dive La Jolla shores, La Jolla cove, Children's Pool, etc. I would like to dive all over southern and central California, channel islands, etc. I do alot of shore diving = alot of surface swimming.

8/7MM Velocity Ultra Hooded Semi-Dry Wetsuit | BARE Sports

I dive that suit in the winter up to low 60s on shore dives. It's too hot for me in the summer, so I switch back to my 3/4/5 mid 60s or higher. Edit: The hood on it is definitely overkill for socal. I am considering cutting mine back a bit

Certain areas of Southern California vary greatly when it comes to water temperatures. Palos Verdes can average ten degrees colder than Catalina or Laguna Beach. The Northern Channel Islands can be colder than British Columbia. I wear a drysuit year round. I've made dives at Marineland (Rancho Palos Verdes) in July and had 48° for two weeks. I just looked throough my logbook and the temps in Palos Verdes for the past four years have been in the low to mid 50s during July.

I personally don't think you can have too much neoprene in the winter - I saw mid-50's in the canyon off the Shores one late October. I probably was in a 7mil with a 5mil jacket over it. Not great mobility but warm...

In the summer - 5 mil with no hood at places like Los Coronados - or (IIRC) La Jolla - the shallower dives south of the Cove.

I remember Farnsworth Bank as almost balmy but have only been there once - probably in spring.

I'm a native and I've been chilly many times with a 1/4" farmer john and 1/4" hood, along with 1/4" booties. There have been times when I unzipped my wetsuit to let some cool water in, but for the most part it seems like I could usually use just a little more rubber. They laughed at me in the 70s when I asked at the dive shop about using a dry suit for scuba. I just got a new 7mm super-stretch full suit which I'm expecting to work as well as the old Rubatex farmer john just because it'll probably fit more snugly and have less water circulation. Unfortunately it's also going to compress more at depth so diving with no BC might not be quite so easy.

I made over 800 dives in SoCal in 6mm wetsuits. During long deco stops after some deep dives I would shiver. My last wetsuit dive involved shivering for close to thirty minutes after the dive, so I bought my first drysuit the next day and haven't looked back.
I forgot my hood and gloves at home once and made a dive off Palos Verdes without them. I had an ice cream headache as soon as I descended and my hands were freezing and bloody after trying to grab a lobster.

I dive a 7mm and hooded 3mm vest in SoCal during much of the year. Water temperatures have been as low as 46° F (I was cold). I like being warm so my arms are steady when I'm filming!

Back
Top Bottom