Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Streydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found a great rate on Sun Country that I could not resist. After booking I discovered they had a different business model than I had experienced before, similar to Spirit now. The outgoing flight was delayed an hour and a half, no explanation or status provided as to when we would be boarding. The flight back left a couple minutes early and landed early but we had to taxi a long way and wait until our gate was unoccupied. We were scheduled to arrive at 8:55 PM and we were off the plane at 9 PM, not bad but it was frustrating because we touched down at 8:20. Breezed through immigration but had to wait over an hour for checked bags. The planes were about 3/4 full for both legs I was able to move to an exit row where I had three seats to myself. Lack of communication and having to wait so long for luggage at DFW were my main issues with the flights. For $315 including a checked bag each way you have to put up with some issues.

A couple of FYI's I discovered that may be helpful to some. There is a 24 hour Pharmacy on Calle 1 a couple blocks east of the square. Loperamida, similar to Imodium, in pill form was 11 Peso's for a small bottle. I was expecting to pay much more. I needed a new battery for my transmitter and Studio Blue was able to take care of it quickly. It was a little expensive but worth the hassle of shopping around. When I walked in the owner was in the process of repairing a BC, looks like they can repair/service many things.

I dived Monday - Thursday and conditions were great except for the 2cnd dive on Thursday. We had planned to do Palancar Gardens but after the DM jumped in to check the conditions he said it was too murky, we ended up going to Palancar caves. There was a fairly strong current that kept changing direction and visibility was not great. We made the best of the conditions by going very slow and poking around the formations. Talking to others that day it seemed like conditions were a little challenging from Columbia to Cedral. Our first dive of that day we went around the south end of the island and I hunted for the first time. I don't remember the name of the site but it was within site of Rastas. Didn't see many lion fish but I did spear a decent size one. The area was beautiful, it is covered with all kinds of soft coral but the marine life was very lacking. The one turtle we saw took off like a bat out of hell, not like the tamed ones that are more used to divers not trying to kill them on the other side.

Had to chance to meet Amoses and Margaritamike this trip, thanks again for the beers and the diving advice.

Here is a quick video I put together. I think it was cool the way this damsel fish kept going for a turtles eyes to get rid of him. Got to see black tips again but from a distance.

Anyone know the story with the cross? It was in one of the swim throughs after Devils Throat.

Thank you for the trip report.

There was a sponge cross in the swim thru that was destroyed during hurricane Wilma in 2005. They attempted to replace it by mounting a wooden cross however that did not work. I don't know when the cross in your video came about.

Last edited:
Was that your first time diving with Studio Blue Dive Center? Cozumel has a number of reputable op.s, and I wondered what brought you to this one. Any particular advantages you liked, or just an overall good experience?

Richard.

Yo Dog!! I saw the Suncountry airfare when it was $260 (plus baggage) and considered it but then injectors went out in my truck and $4000 later, I'm driving...but not diving...

Thanks for the heads up on Suncountry. We're going back for Day of the Dead October 28 to Nov 4th or 5th. Probably staying at Casa Mexicana and diving with Aldora.

Hope all is well in Big D!

Jay

Was that your first time diving with Studio Blue Dive Center? Cozumel has a number of reputable op.s, and I wondered what brought you to this one. Any particular advantages you liked, or just an overall good experience?

Richard.
I dove with Aldora. I was just pointing out that Studio Blue did repair work and was located in town by the square.

Yo Dog!! I saw the Suncountry airfare when it was $260 (plus baggage) and considered it but then injectors went out in my truck and $4000 later, I'm driving...but not diving...

Thanks for the heads up on Suncountry. We're going back for Day of the Dead October 28 to Nov 4th or 5th. Probably staying at Casa Mexicana and diving with Aldora.

Hope all is well in Big D!

Jay
Sorry to hear about your truck. You can do a lot of diving in Cozumel for $4,000.

Be VERY VERY leery of Sun Country.

Flew them in June to Cancun and it took 12 hours to arrive (flight delayed over 10 hours).

They were bought out in January and promptly fired their ground crews and trimmed staff. It has been dooooown hill ever since. They are redoing planes and going smaller seats and NO first class anymore (once they redo them all). Pilots I spoke to were NOT positive about anything and said it has pretty much been a s@$t show since January.

I am using my vouchers for a solo trip in August - crossing my fingers I actually make it lol!!!!!!!!

Be wary and book another air line!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom