Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abellows

New
Reaction score
Hi all!

I know there are a few threads already posted about the pros and cons of dive master internships, but I thought I'd post anyway to get some more specific advice.

I recently graduated from college, and I'd really like to travel for a few years as a working divemaster. I got my OW certification a few years ago, and absolutely fell in love with diving. So, it seemed logical to travel and work as a divemaster.

On paper, a dive internship sounds perfect. While I know that the pay rate generally sucks (a different post estimated about a $4 per hour value), to me it beats working retail while I save up to buy a course. Also, I think gaining hands-on experience will make it more likely for me to get a paying gig somewhere else after it's done. That being said, I know some are more valuable than others (ie, not interested in a 6 month internship that would give me the same certification as a 1 or 2 month).

Is my logic wrong?

Or, are there any working divemasters who can comment on their ability to stay afloat financially while working?

Also, anyone who has done an internship, please let me know your experience! Also, if anyone has any recommendations for internships to do, please let me know.

Thanks!

This may or may not meet your needs. Read through it carefully. I do have friends that went this route for divemaster and instructor internships with Dressel in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. They were very pleased with the package and the overall training they received and it led to permanent opportunities. Free PADI DIVEMASTER INTERNSHIP with Dressel Divers

I'll start the ball rolling before the negative posts arrive.

Firstly to travel the world and work, you'll want to be an Instructor. Shops will want someone who can bring value and teach on their books.

Secondly it really really pays to do your research. I will give you two places to start with GoPro Utila Dive Centre and Coconut Tree Divers .

I can't vouch for them in regard to actually undertaking training with them, however I have communicated with them both regarding professional training, and would after my conversations be prepared to spend my money with them.

Trailboss's post above is very good too.

Spend time "interviewing" who you want to go with and make sure you clarify what yoru expectations are. Some shops will be busy some may not. Those who engage in conversation rather than just send you a standard reply might be better

Yes you will end up hauling tanks and drawing crap duties, but you should also receive good training and mentoring. I like to involve my DM's as much as I can.

It's a very competitive market in the best locations, with many fresh and experienced instructors all chasing the same work. It is hard work and long hours, but it can be very rewarding and a good laugh too.

I wish you well in your quest

Check out Rainbow Reef in Key Largo. Their internship program is pretty unique. They always have a sizeable group of interns at any given time; the camaraderie they develop and the experience they gain is top notch.

Their website is rainbowreef.us I couldn't find anything specific about the internship program on the website, but you can call them and get the details.

I will give a +1 for Utila Dive Centre, as that's where I did my Divemaster! I loved my experience there and would definitely return if I wanted to become an instructor.

A local kid at our dive shop worked with Dressel in Playa and had nothing good to say about that particular program. I wish I had time for the internship right now but just going to do the class.

I know some of the Dressel folks and their program seems to be pretty legit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom