Please advise on Philippine locations that meet these criteria:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBackpacker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1.Will stay a couple of months with only the first stop preplanned.
2. Interested in all marine creatures, big and small.
3. Interesting in diving and snorkeling - no other activities needed.
4. Don’t need a beach or a pool. I live in Florida,USA and can do these at home.
5. Luxury resorts and gourmet food not required or desired. Clean/safe accommodations and simple nutritious/tasty food are perfectly adequate.
6. I could include a non-luxury but safe liveaboard or two.
7. Would prefer to mostly avoid mass tourism locations.
8. Not a wreck diver.
9. I get cold easily so cold water(under 80F) is best avoided !

This will be my first trip to the Philippines so any guidance/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank-you in advance for any suggestions.

Well let me know what you find out as I'll be traveling there next Spring.

BTW I don't mind when people follow behind me, but when they find a way to follow in front of me it makes me nervous. ;-) Are you still in CZM? Tell the 3Ps hello for me.

I've met many divers who are making the rounds of the Philippine dive areas. Coron, Tubbataha reefs (liveaboard only), Malapascua, Moalboal, Siguijor, Dauin & Apo Island, Bohol, Southern Leyte, Anilao, Puerto Galera, Apo Reef, etc.

Not necessarily in that order, and there are others ... most areas have hostels or other low cost accommodations available. And most are accessible by bus or boat or quick domestic flight after you fly in to Cebu, although Anilao and Puerto Galera are nearer to Manila.

Look at a map, and plan a route; I'm sure you'll have a great visit! And the water is warm, typically 27-30 C :wink:

I second TRobert's advise. It sounds like you have an amazing opportunity to really tour around the Philippines. One of the really cool things about PH is the range of options available. If a person wants to spend a lot, there are options, if a person wants to "play it local" there are options.

I would say that Coron, Apo Reef, Dumaguete, and PG could be considered Mass Tourism locations, but it would be a shame to miss out on such amazing diving opportunities, and there is still a vast range of lodging available.

What sort of travel logistics are you looking for? Unfortunately, many of the dive locales require a flight (Cebu Pacific or PAL) to an island, plus a few hour commute by Van or Jeepney, and likely a boat (banca) ride to get to the final destination. BUT, I personally see the travel/commute aspect as part of the adventure.

I like your concept of mostly Unplanned. I would suggest starting at the southernmost destination and bouncing your way North, closer to Luzon/Manila. That way, your travel logistics should become increasingly more simple as you become travel worn.

It would be a shame to visit the Phils and pass on some of the more "touristy" dive areas because they have to many tourists---which is what you are. Areas that are touristy with good diving include (in my opinion) Puerto Galera, Bohol (Alona and Balicasag Islands, Coron--but that's for wrecks. There are places to stay in those areas for all budgets. I don't consider Dauin and Apo Island a touristy area although Apo Island can get a bit crowded with boats but it's never affected my diving there---likewise many different places to stay for all budgets. Southern Leyte (Sogod) is another quiet place that is a wee bit harder to get to than the other areas. I'll be diving in Sipalay which is more laid back and then move on to Dauin this coming November. I don't know when you will be visiting---Tubbataha reef is only accessible by liveaboard from March to June each year. A few other liveaboards (Seadoors etc.) ply the seas in different areas when not at Tubbataha. Also remember if you are staying in the Philippines over 30 days you will need to get a visa extension and pay the fee---last time I extended it cost like 2,750 pesos ($55) for another 30 days. Also the law states you need to show a on-ward bound ticket (can be asked when going through immigration) out of the Philippines in that first 30 days even if you plan on extending--if they ask for it. I've extended my visa twice and had a ticket out of the Philippines that left in 45 days but was never asked to show a on-ward ticket. I once flew into the Philippines from Thailand and was asked in Thailand to show a ticket out of the Philippines within 30 days which luckily I had. Depending on time of year the water temps can be a bit cooler--Puerto Galera when I was there in December was down to about 76 degrees (in Dauin the week before it was 81 degrees) and I was told it would be a bit cooler in January. Lots of reviews on this site to read and help you make up your mind--enjoy the Philippines--everyone does. Good diving!

Last edited:
I've met many divers who are making the rounds of the Philippine dive areas. Coron, Tubbataha reefs (liveaboard only), Malapascua, Moalboal, Siguijor, Dauin & Apo Island, Bohol, Southern Leyte, Anilao, Puerto Galera, Apo Reef, etc.

Not necessarily in that order, and there are others ... most areas have hostels or other low cost accommodations available. And most are accessible by bus or boat or quick domestic flight after you fly in to Cebu, although Anilao and Puerto Galera are nearer to Manila.

Look at a map, and plan a route; I'm sure you'll have a great visit! And the water is warm, typically 27-30 C :wink:

Thanks much for the reply. Good to know about the availability of local transport and lower cost but safe/clean accommodation, as part of the goal is to experience the local scene and see whether it would work for me as an expat. And I think I will fly directly to Cebu based partly on what I've read about the congestion of Manila airport and partly on what you say about the proximity of many sites to Cebu.

I second TRobert's advise. It sounds like you have an amazing opportunity to really tour around the Philippines. One of the really cool things about PH is the range of options available. If a person wants to spend a lot, there are options, if a person wants to "play it local" there are options.

I would say that Coron, Apo Reef, Dumaguete, and PG could be considered Mass Tourism locations, but it would be a shame to miss out on such amazing diving opportunities, and there is still a vast range of lodging available.

What sort of travel logistics are you looking for? Unfortunately, many of the dive locales require a flight (Cebu Pacific or PAL) to an island, plus a few hour commute by Van or Jeepney, and likely a boat (banca) ride to get to the final destination. BUT, I personally see the travel/commute aspect as part of the adventure.

I like your concept of mostly Unplanned. I would suggest starting at the southernmost destination and bouncing your way North, closer to Luzon/Manila. That way, your travel logistics should become increasingly more simple as you become travel worn.

Glad to know there are lots of different options as since I am staying for a while I'll need the medium and low cost ones !

When I mentioned mass tourism I just meant that I didn't want to spend time/money showing up somewhere where the diving/snorkeling was ruined or was a "cesspool"(Boracay according to Duterte). After all, I'm writing this from Cozumel, Mexico, certainly what most people would consider a mass tourism locale. I'll have one or more of your suggestions on the list.

I'm open to all the travel options - for fun/interest and also as I'm scouting for an expat location. Using all of them at one time or another will give me a better feel for the area. I hope to include one or more remote destinations on the itinerary. Also, by keeping the itinerary open, if I like a place I'll stay longer - if not I"ll move on.

It would be a shame to visit the Phils and pass on some of the more "touristy" dive areas because they have to many tourists---which is what you are. Areas that are touristy with good diving include (in my opinion) Puerto Galera, Bohol (Alona and Balicasag Islands, Coron--but that's for wrecks. There are places to stay in those areas for all budgets. I don't consider Dauin and Apo Island a touristy area although Apo Island can get a bit crowded with boats but it's never affected my diving there---likewise many different places to stay for all budgets. Southern Leyte (Sogod) is another quiet place that is a wee bit harder to get to than the other areas. I'll be diving in Sipalay which is more laid back and then move on to Dauin this coming November. I don't know when you will be visiting---Tubbataha reef is only accessible by liveaboard from March to June each year. A few other liveaboards (Seadoors etc.) ply the seas in different areas when not at Tubbataha. Also remember if you are staying in the Philippines over 30 days you will need to get a visa extension and pay the fee---last time I extended it cost like 2,750 pesos ($55) for another 30 days. Also the law states you need to show a on-ward bound ticket (can be asked when going through immigration) out of the Philippines in that first 30 days even if you plan on extending--if they ask for it. I've extended my visa twice and had a ticket out of the Philippines that left in 45 days but was never asked to show a on-ward ticket. I once flew into the Philippines from Thailand and was asked in Thailand to show a ticket out of the Philippines within 30 days which luckily I had. Depending on time of year the water temps can be a bit cooler--Puerto Galera when I was there in December was down to about 76 degrees (in Dauin the week before it was 81 degrees) and I was told it would be a bit cooler in January. Lots of reviews on this site to read and help you make up your mind--enjoy the Philippines--everyone does. Good diving!

I agree with you that we need to keep in mind that we are all tourists. All of us -- me included!-- are putting pressure on these natural areas. Of course, scuba divers spending money are maybe the only chance some of these reef areas have. Explained what I meant by mass tourism in my reply to D_ Fresh.
Thank-you for the specific suggestions. I'll put them all on my list to read up on.
I'm thinking I may show up in October. As I understand it, it is toward the end of rainy season but before water gets colder in some areas.
Thanks for reviewing visa issue. Was aware of it, but only by chance.
I am always puzzled by this onward ticket issue. Seems like a lot of places state that but don't enforce it. I'd really prefer to buy a one-way and then just buy a return when I'm ready to come back, extending the visa if necessary month by month. But I have heard of people being unable to board without it. My daughter once had to buy an onward/return ticket to get on the plane to Spain.

Glad to know there are lots of different options as since I am staying for a while I'll need the medium and low cost ones !

When I mentioned mass tourism I just meant that I didn't want to spend time/money showing up somewhere where the diving/snorkeling was ruined or was a "cesspool"(Boracay according to Duterte). After all, I'm writing this from Cozumel, Mexico, certainly what most people would consider a mass tourism locale. I'll have one or more of your suggestions on the list.

I'm open to all the travel options - for fun/interest and also as I'm scouting for an expat location. Using all of them at one time or another will give me a better feel for the area. I hope to include one or more remote destinations on the itinerary. Also, by keeping the itinerary open, if I like a place I'll stay longer - if not I"ll move on.

Oh I totally understand and agree with you. Even though I'm lucky enough to be living here in the Philippines, I am incredibly jealous of your trip plans. I dig it!

Unfortunately I cannot offer much advise about Cebu, Dumeguete, or Central Visayan areas yet, but I do know that a return ticket will be required to board the plan to PH.

On my most recent return to PH, I had two One Way tickets, and PAL absolutely wanted to confirm I had an Exit ticket. It is a Gov't requirement but is enforced by the airlines, not Immigration. There are two ways to go about it.
1) Book a somewhat flexible One Way return ticket close to when you expect the trip to conclude. Maybe a fee to move it back or ahead a week or so..... or
2) Purchase a "Throw Away" ticket, typically a $50~100 one way ticket to Bali or Bangkok... which of course you won't actually fly there, but might be cheaper than trying to move a US bound flight.

As wrecks don’t interest you, don’t bother with Coron. The visibility is mediocre on the reefs and you can find MUCH better elsewhere in the Ps. Too bad that wrecks don’t interest you because the 6 main wrecks (best reached from Sangat Island Dive Resort) are SUPERLATIVE and any metal-head who has the opportunity should make the effort to spend 3-4 days there to dive them all.

Back
Top Bottom