Hose retainers. Where and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I don't have that option under my avatar either.

I had to join the DIR group, then leave. Now I'm an angelfish, whatever that means.

I would say this, if you are intended to take some GUE class in future, don't even bother with this kind of hose retainer. Just use cave line to tight the bolt snap there. There are plenty of video on youtube showing how to do it. Spend the money to get the proper hose length now. Also I would highly suggest the old school rubber hose instead of the braided hose.

Sorry for dumb question, but what qualifies as cave line? Can I use the extra line I cut off from the finger spool I bought at my LDS? I'm not sure what brand it was.

Yup, it's just thin nylon braid off a spool.

I took a DIR fundamentals course and we re-did all my ties anyway. My instructor liked 4 wraps instead of 3. I had also gotten lazy and used a zip tie on something, and that was a big no-no.

Ain't no kill like overkill...but I'm a bit mystified. What is the context of such a complex tie-in for placing a swiveling boltsnap on a 2nd-stage hose? For the sidemount diving that I do, this tie-in would seem to be an actively bad idea, as I want a tie-in that can break away in case of emergencies.

It doesn't need to break away. It's never clipped to a d-ring while normal diving. It's there to hold it while setting up gear, while on the surface, etc. Or if you are out of air and using a buddies regulator, you can clip it off. Why would you need to rip the bolt snap off the hose? If you ever need to really get it off, slip a knife under and it will cut through easier than a big zip tie.\\

BTW, that Chinese guy's knot is total overkill. 3-4 wraps of line, do an overhand knot, flip over, square knot and melt line with lighter. Takes 5 mins.

Here's a better video with a much simpler knot. FF to 3:15 if you're in a hurry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom