Hoping to see sand tiger sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to take a trip in the near future to see the sand tigers. I’ve been reading about the Caribsea and the Aeolus as possibilities. What do those of you who have done considerable Carolina diving suggest? Also interested in dive shop recommendations. Have had negative experience with Olympus in past and would prefer someone else.

Last edited:
Call the dive op (e.g., Olympus) and tell them you're mainly interested in seeing the sand tigers and see if they can recommend a particular day when the odds might be best. Often, what wrecks the boat visits depends on sea conditions. They may reach a site they had hoped to dive and find they need to go elsewhere.

I can tell you that I saw quite a few sand tigers diving the Hyde with Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington last year. Nice wreck with lots of sea life. There are a couple of other wrecks close by and they usually will do a dive on 2 different wrecks on the same trip.

I've not dived the Caribsea or Aeolus yet, but I've heard from friends that have that they're both nice dives, especially the Caribsea. Can't tell you whether sand tigers are there or not, but I would think it's a good possibility. Lorenzoid's suggestion sounds like a good plan.

I'm not claiming 'considerable' - 9 dives, 1 trip.

The Aeolus had 2 large square holes in the top, dropping down into a large room with part of the wall open. If everyone gets on their knees (bottom's rough, by the way) and holds still, it's likely a sand tiger will circle around and get close enough for some nice photos. But if baitfish are present in high numbers, it can look a bit like a 'fish blizzard' (also kind of neat).

My dive of the Caribbsea, the sharks were hanging out over the wreck. Ever see a 'V formation' of geese in the sky, & wonder what it'd be like to join it? Well, replace the geese with mid-size sharks...that was my intro. to diving with sand tigers. It was a different experience vs. the Aeolus, but I liked both.

Keep in mind the captain won't want to 'crowd' a wreck; another boat may get there first, weather/sea conditions may be problematic, any planned specific wreck for a day is tentative.

I was happy with Olympus Dive Center; from reading I've been under the impression Discovery Dive Center (? IIRC) is similar, so an option. Do you want a big boat, or a smaller boat with fewer people? Be mindful it's a lot trip in the Atlantic ocean to those offshore wrecks.

Richard.

I dive mainly dive out of Wilmington, NC with Aquatic Safaris. This year I have seen sand tigers at their typical spots the Hyde and the Markham. I have also seen them at the John D. Gill and the Stone Tug (not typical) this year.

Some buddies and I had a nice couple of days diving with Discovery at the end of June and there were good numbers of sand tigers on and around the Aeolus on multiple days. We also saw them diving the Spar and even had one swim past while we were on the U-352.

Mark

You will probably see sand tigers on every single wreck in NC this summer...and every summer. They are like cockroaches with teeth..they are everywhere.

I like that , cockroaches with teeth ! Our Florida spiny lobster is our cockroach
but no teeth .
Sea Dwellers

I think that most people who come to NC want to see sharks or U-boat (or both). The only reason why boat may not go to offshore wrecks (with sharks) is borderline weather, than they may stop at inshore wrecks which are OK but less interesting and do not have sharks. I only had experience (positive) with Olympus. Any particular problem with Olympus? Number of diveshops with fast boats capable to reach offshore wrecks in reasonable time is pretty limited

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom