Aqualung SEA MK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DB12

Registered
Reaction score
I have an Aqualung SEA MK that I got for free and was wondering if it would be of any use for recreational scuba diving as a sort of pony bottle that would allow me to get to a dive buddy who may be a little further than usual in the event of a failure on the primary tank? Or is it just too small to be of any use?

iFobhFW.jpg

It could be of limited use to you. The similar unit I had was sold on Craigslist and helped defray the cost of a proper pony.

Bob

It is a great device for unlimited usage!
You just have to change tank!
I`d used before Aqualung MAS - it is the same function, just against valve knob, you turning regulator body itself.
Most important, you have to know, is thread of tank. I`d looking many sources and found just one size - thread for small HP tanks - same as for spare air, airsoft guns and for paintball markers
it is UNF 5/8-18
here you can find (use translator) my way with such system: миниакваланг, он же спэйр-эйр заспинный: Клуб любителей экзотического дайвинга: Подводный форум больных дайвингом.
Some additional information: Now I use (for standard valves) Armotech tanks - it is very nice, stainless steel inside, very lightweight, and 15 years of usage.

(below is autotranslated text)
It has long been the idea to make yourself a small compact scuba, which could be as spareair, and just took it and went to dive off the coast.
total set of requirements:
easy. little. with a hose that could be fastened next to a balon from behind. filled with both a bypass and a compressor. and most importantly - that would be on the cylinder cylinder thread.
the reason for using cylindrical threads is the ability to untwist a balloon that would be possible to carry it with you on an airplane.

criteria "small and light" are satisfied by the valve-regulator.
there are variants of type H2O, but I used to fall under the arm of another, and even more compact.
The Micra Air System from Aqualung was used as the basis for the future of the aqualung. http://www.okdive.ru/phocadownload/regs/[aqualung]_mas_habd_eng.pdf

As a balloon, only the composite was considered. there are a lot of reasons, but one of the main ones is reliability (well, the weight itself)

many offices were phoned, Gero, Safit, Mashtest, Elina-T (Russian composte tanks manufacturers).
As a result, in early January, they agreed with Elina-T that they will begin to consider the production of baloons with the required 5/8-18 UNF neck.
So, month of correspondence, confirmed that yes, they can do.
brought in early March, somewhere a sample - a luminous balloon (native to spyric and screwing into it, from the reducer valve) ...
in general with a month ago began to ask clarifying questions about the size. as a result, converged to the maximum thin by 4 liters.
in total there was a surcharge compared to the standard price for everything (starting from the very beginning, threading under 5/8) in 15$.
Yes, another very important reason to look towards Elina was the fact that they have liner material inside - stainless steel !!! so that such a balloon can be almost "eternal" ...

so, half a year has not passed, but I still made a 300bar composite thin ball with thread 5 / 8-18 UNF
production: Elina-T , the passport is accompanied by a passport
price - as a typical balloon would be, but in fact they made a new snap for such a thread, well, plus the envelope of a non-standard ball - a thin, long - it came out a little more expensive.
so that everyone who wants to replace their flasks on their Spare flasks with a more spacious one - Welcome! they are already doing it!

Tank:
s-724-jpg.470097.jpg

Valve-regulator
s-726-jpg.470101.jpg

Yes, someone was rubbing me that the valve-reducer M.A.S. (MicraAirSystem) garbage, and it has a set pressure drop, and it does not give a big flow ....
NONSENSE! checked. connected the manometer - as much as possible threw an arrow - by 1.5 bar, and it is most likely due to inertia. more to make a difference, no matter how strongly and sharply I did not try to breathe - it was not possible.

with belts
s-735-jpg.470105.jpg

underwater
s-744-jpg.470120.jpg

Mini-SCUBA (or real spareair, not a toy) - here I posted some more pictures and information

Last edited:
Interesting, so what you're saying is to keep the first and second stage but switch out the tank for something with greater capacity. The problem was that the threads were not compatible with regular SCUBA tanks so you had to have one made with UNF 5/8-18 thread size, right?

@АлександрД, in my case it was a spare air so the reg on a larger tank would probably be unwieldy. And aside from that I have lots of old valves and regs lying about to make up the pony. The spare air out of hydro went for $75 and picked up a new 19cuft for $100, so I did OK on the deal.

I do like reading your posts as it gives a different perspective on diving while still emphasising making the best use of given resources.

Thanks

Bob

:)
Just to be care about "spareair"
- It could be "two(stages)-in-one" (like SpareAir TM or HEEDS) and with big tank it will be unusable,
- or could be like a HABD or SEA - with normal second stage with hose.

In case of Two-In-One - much more nice is this system:
スプラッシュ(SPLASH)
splash_03w-jpg.460478.jpg

Just use little bigger tanks :)
At least later you can introduce yourself as "Bob, James Bob" :)

...you can introduce yourself as "Bob, James Bob" :)

Doesn't have quite the right ring.

More like this, a newer version than the one I had.

Spare_Air_hand_at_neck_black_cylinder_300x618ce.png

The major issue I had with it was that in the conditions I dove I had to dismantle and clean the reg every dive rather than just rinse out like a more robust reg. If I was in clean water...

The unit was designed for downed helicopter escapes and would spend most of its life out of the water. Since I wasn't using it for its intended purpose, I don't fault the unit for my issues with it, although I would tend to steer divers away.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom