Any updated timeline for the Deep 6 computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, that isn't what I was saying, I am just generally commenting on how prices don't directly translate between markets.... thank governments and logistics for that.

But yes as far as the old puck computer design is concerned, it has been dropped. Chris explained why above in a pretty concise post. It basically came down to case problems, other products entering the market at that price point, and having missed the window of opportunity.

I am quite shocked at some of the reactions we have gotten. The product did not live up to our expectations, and we refuse to bring a product into production that we do not feel meets our standard. What is the alternative? Release a crap product for people to buy and then complain about more? We really like to include people in our decisions and development, we really like to share what we have going on, but I am beginning to feel like this is ending up as a case of 'no good deed goes unpunished' and maybe we should consider no longer posting about any of our development projects.
I am a Deep6 customer and fan, so I am going to be very honest here about how my experience with the Deep6 computer fiasco. I don't hold it against Deep6 and company for trying to make an inexpensive DC. Or sharing some information about it with the the Scubaboard community and Deep6 customers. My objection is that the community involvement was done half-assed. Some information was shared. Just enough to get people excited, because Deep6 feels like the SpaceX of the Scuba world and it has a good track record so far. But that was about it. People were holding off buying a new DC because the Deep6 DC was supposed to be fantastic, etc. In a way Chris's decision to kill that project proves it, because he would not put out a product that was not excellent. But this information was not shared, so people did not know what happened. The loop was not closed. That is annoying. It is always annoying whenever it happens. So yes, the sharing about that project was a fiasco because it was not done properly or completely.

Deep6 is better than that, as are the people involved. Community engagement is an important part of most consumer sales, and especially so for a small manufacturer. I think Deep6 would do very nicely just being honest, open, and timely. I think Deep6 is already honest, open when actually talking about things, but is not timely. I would suggest either (A) committing to being timely and completing the loop on community sharing on projects, (B) being very very careful to say that anything you post about is a Work-in-Progress and may or may not become an actual Deep6 product so people don't get so excited about it that they are eagerly awaiting news on it, or (C) don't say anything until you are selling the object in question.

Everyone is busy, everyone has things to do. Do it or don't do it, but don't do half of it.

RE: people being upset over this, I see both sides:

Deep6 is allowed to change their mind and roadmap at any time for any reason, hands down. I was hoping to get an affordable computer with Buhlman, but also strongly suspected that their DC wouldn't survive at that price point with all of the other competition (Mares pucks, zoops, etc).

With that said, here's why I think most people are upset and what Deep6 could do to mitigate this in the future:

1. You guys actually disclosed an estimated price. This makes the release feel a lot more real to people
2. You had a literal computer section on your website for this with it pending
3. You shared "final" screen layouts
4. You talked about timelines a couple years ago on when you expected it out.

I know you said you weren't "marketing", but the four things above really combine to have people expect a release. That's a lot more than simply stating, "hey guys we are scoping out a prototype to see if it is feasible or not, share your input".

Last edited:
Those bastards....

I am a Deep6 customer and fan, so I am going to be very honest here about how my experience with the Deep6 computer fiasco. I don't hold it against Deep6 and company for trying to make an inexpensive DC. Or sharing some information about it with the the Scubaboard community and Deep6 customers. My objection is that the community involvement was done half-assed. Some information was shared. Just enough to get people excited, because Deep6 feels like the SpaceX of the Scuba world and it has a good track record so far. But that was about it. People were holding off buying a new DC because the Deep6 DC was supposed to be fantastic, etc. In a way Chris's decision to kill that project proves it, because he would not put out a product that was not excellent. But this information was not shared, so people did not know what happened. The loop was not closed. That is annoying. It is always annoying whenever it happens. So yes, the sharing about that project was a fiasco because it was not done properly or completely.

Deep6 is better than that, as are the people involved. Community engagement is an important part of most consumer sales, and especially so for a small manufacturer. I think Deep6 would do very nicely just being honest, open, and timely. I think Deep6 is already honest, open when actually talking about things, but is not timely. I would suggest either (A) committing to being timely and completing the loop on community sharing on projects, (B) being very very careful to say that anything you post about is a Work-in-Progress and may or may not become an actual Deep6 product so people don't get so excited about it that they are eagerly awaiting news on it, or (C) don't say anything until you are selling the object in question.

Everyone is busy, everyone has things to do. Do it or don't do it, but don't do half of it.

RE: people being upset over this, I see both sides:

Deep6 is allowed to change their mind and roadmap at any time for any reason, hands down. I was hoping to get an affordable computer with Buhlman, but also strongly suspected that their DC wouldn't survive at that price point with all of the other competition (Mares pucks, zoops, etc).

With that said, here's why I think most people are upset and what Deep6 could do to mitigate this in the future:

1. You guys actually disclosed an estimated price. This makes the release feel a lot more real to people
2. You had a literal computer section on your website for this with it pending
3. You shared "final" screen layouts
4. You talked about timelines a couple years ago on when you expected it out.

I know you said you weren't "marketing", but the four things above really combine to have people expect a release. That's a lot more than simply stating, "hey guys we are scoping out a prototype to see if it is feasible or not, share your input".

I agree very strongly with both of you. I think that the lesson from this matter is that never to talk about a product and get people's expectations up until the product is finalized, tested, passed testing, has no issues at all and is boxed up and ready for shipping.

People from D6 appear to be upset and very defensive in reaction to some of the feedback here in this thread but I think that for the most part people were excited and had lots of hopes and expectations for the entry level dive computer initially advertised by D6 but they were taken by the surprise of their finding out after about two years of anticipation that the whole plan has changed and the type of computer at the price they expected (the price was confirmed to be the same even when some change of features were announced sometime in the last two years. This was referenced by Chris in one of the posts in this forum a while back) isn't going to be offered and a totally different computer at a much higher price point (probably 3 times the price) will be offered instead.

I believe that most people here, myself included, have a lot of respect and admiration of D6 and Chris but were taken by surprise and disappointment after their high expectations of the original product announced and marketed but now abandoned by D6. The surprise and frustration felt by Chris and Landon was also felt by most of the D6 fans here who were waiting for "their" product. No one should take a defensive attitude here.

Last edited:
The least expensive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16 with GF appears to be the Ratio iDive Sport Easy for $599. It is a 2 gas computer limited to 6 preset GFs. The transmitter for AI is an additional $379. Divesoft has a single gas computer for $609, 3 gases for $689, no option for AI. Who knows what the Divecomputer.com computer, rebranded as Deep 6, will go for in the US. Seems like it will go for more than the $540 it is available for in the EU. It appears this will not add a lot to the currently available line up. This is sure a lot different than the expectation of a starter computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16 C with preset GFs for $139!!

The least expensive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16 with GF appears to be the Ratio iDive Sport Easy for $599. It is a 2 gas computer limited to 6 preset GFs. The transmitter for AI is an additional $379. Divesoft has a single gas computer for $609, 3 gases for $689, no option for AI. Who knows what the Divecomputer.com computer, rebranded as Deep 6, will go for in the US. Seems like it will go for more than the $540 it is available for in the EU. It appears this will not add a lot to the currently available line up. This is sure a lot different than the expectation of a starter computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16 C with preset GFs for $139!!

That iDive Sport easy sounds really appealing. Do you know if it works with other standard transmitters so I could buy a cheaper $100 used one?

Ratio uses their own proprietary transmitter, exclusive to the brand.

Ugh. There is no winning this game. I guess the sub $500 AI / buhlman computer doesn't exist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom