Inheriting my dad's early '90s equipment - safe? How to check it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost forgot about this thread!!! Finally had a chance to get back home and dig it out. It’s so minimal! I am a very nostalgic person so I like vintage anything. The dive shop where this was purchased in the 80s is still open so I might take it in just to see what they say.

Photos of BC and reg:
View attachment 470072
View attachment 470073
View attachment 470074
View attachment 470075

View attachment 470076
View attachment 470077
View attachment 470078

Plus, turns out that my mom had a pair of jet fins in my size, though the strap needs replacing:
View attachment 470079

Tanks to be unearthed tomorrow from the hard to reach corner of the storage room.

The BCD is definitely vintage and is the least useful piece. The regulator will serve you well. The fins are actually very good and even if you don't want heavy rubber fins you can probably sell them second hand for about $100.

R..

I teach out of Scuba NY, Yonkers location. We are a Scubapro dealer and have a tech on staff. Many LDS facilities send gear here for service and so does a few government agencies. Bring gear in and we will see what can be done. Tanks can be used as long as hydro test and eddy current tests pass ok. Regulators may need new hoses , will not know until gear is looked at. If you take gear to Brooklyn location they will send gear to Yonkers as Scubapro is not serviced there and that will add to cost due to shipping , handling. The bcd is really old and you may want to replace it , may not even fit you correctly. We will check it for proper function and you can choose what to do before service is done.

I have no relationship with Scuba NY (I have been there), but they have a decent reputation and if you are local enough it's not a bad idea to send you there.

By that I mean, just an orange inflatable vest. No padding, no adjustable shoulder, no pockets aside from the clip on one. Not as minimal as other equipment, but certainly simple compared to rental BCs I’ve used.

If it’s not visible the BC is ScubaPro.

It looks like an original stab jacket. Before that jacket divers wore a Horsecollar BC. If it works and you don't want it, there are divers that still like them and it's quite likely you can sell it. As I remember, @drbill is a fan, but memory may be suspect.

Bob

I almost forgot about this thread!!! Finally had a chance to get back home and dig it out. It’s so minimal! I am a very nostalgic person so I like vintage anything. The dive shop where this was purchased in the 80s is still open so I might take it in just to see what they say.

Photos of BC and reg:
View attachment 470072
View attachment 470073
View attachment 470074
View attachment 470075

View attachment 470076
View attachment 470077
View attachment 470078

Plus, turns out that my mom had a pair of jet fins in my size, though the strap needs replacing:
View attachment 470079

Tanks to be unearthed tomorrow from the hard to reach corner of the storage room.

Same rig that I started with.
Exactly!
Right down to the bcd and Air II.
My rig is still fine. BCD is indestructible.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks for all the info, going today to bring it to the original dive shop where it was purchased. Info about the local place in NY is much appreciated, but it’s cool to

C8AF4416-B5DC-4BB7-99D3-EB7FE5B19AA1.jpeg
Brought it all to the dive shop where it was purchased. Bcd appears to be working but the hose and integrated back up regulator will be tested.

The regulator needed a replacement hose and a new pressure gague. I would prefer a gague that displays both psi and bar since I like to travel and some places/dive guides use European systems and I’d prefer to see both. Does anyone have an idea for sourcing one of those that would fit this console?

1999 aluminum tank will be hydro tested. 1986 aluminum tank has seen its final days.

New straps for the Jet Fins! Hooray!

The regulator needed a replacement hose and a new pressure gauge. I would prefer a gauge that displays both psi and bar since I like to travel and some places/dive guides use European systems and I’d prefer to see both. Does anyone have an idea for sourcing one of those that would fit this console?

New straps for the Jet Fins! Hooray!

Some thoughts:
Here is a pressure gauge with both din and bar. I would buy the hose and have DGX assemble it. I would not bother to mount it to the console. Move the depth gauge to a wrist boot. It will be more streamline in the water and more compact for travel.

I personally hate Jet Fins, others love them, so YMMV. If you like the fins, spring straps are much better than rubber straps. If you travel these are not the best fins because they are heavy.

Here is a pressure gauge with both din and bar. I would buy the hose and have DGX assemble it. I would not bother to mount it to the console. Move the depth gauge to a wrist boot. It will be more streamline in the water and more compact for travel.

I guess I'll have to become a little less ignorant about how the first stage is connected to other things. I figured I'd let the dive shop do it all and choose what fits since I'm still new to this. The console does have a compass on the other side which would be a benefit of keeping the boot with the two display areas. My computer would take care of depth I assume. Do people typically carry an analogue depth gauge and a computer?

I guess I'll have to become a little less ignorant about how the first stage is connected to other things. I figured I'd let the dive shop do it all and choose what fits since I'm still new to this. The console does have a compass on the other side which would be a benefit of keeping the boot with the two display areas. My computer would take care of depth I assume. Do people typically carry an analogue depth gauge and a computer?
No neef for analog depth gauge. We carry 2 dive computers (each).

We have a bunch of analog depth gauges in a drawer somewhere. Need to hunt them down and toss them.

We also recently got rid of our bulky consoles and now just have an spg. Compass got tucked into BCD pocket. Never took it out on the last LOB trip in Belize. Maybe it will go in the bin as well?

Back
Top Bottom