Any updated timeline for the Deep 6 computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you can even get a buhlmann 16 based dive computer for cheaper than $700 or so right now?

I don't think I should discuss our intentions anymore..... :)

But this information was not shared, so people did not know what happened. The loop was not closed. That is annoying. It is always annoying whenever it happens. So yes, the sharing about that project was a fiasco because it was not done properly or completely.

Thanks for the support so far, we really do appreciate it.

It was only recently that we killed the project, we still had hope we would be able to fix the issues on the device until it became apparent we could not, we did not delay sharing the news.

I would suggest either (A) committing to being timely and completing the loop on community sharing on projects, (B) being very very careful to say that anything you post about is a Work-in-Progress and may or may not become an actual Deep6 product so people don't get so excited about it that they are eagerly awaiting news on it, or (C) don't say anything until you are selling the object in question.

A) Projects get delayed, bugs pop up, engineering issues arise. These things cannot always be anticipated. Unfortunately we can't be clairvoyant and know the exact completion time of a project ahead of the start. I certainly wish we could, but Murphy's law and all seems to get in the way.

B) I think even when we call it a WIP or 'product in development', and then openly talk about projected release dates, possible prices, etc, people take that as a fact, even when we specify otherwise. My impression was that when something is classified as 'in development' there is never a guarantee it will be produced. Google, Apple, Facebook, etc all 'develop' products that never see the light of day. Sometimes these things take on a life of their own unfortunately.. some of these posts are posted on our private pages, then a friend/customer sees it, and it starts to spread and then we get a snowball effect.

C) Definitely being considered by us now.

With that said, here's why I think most people are upset and what Deep6 could do to mitigate this in the future:

1. You guys actually disclosed an estimated price. This makes the release feel a lot more real to people
2. You had a literal computer section on your website for this with it pending
3. You shared "final" screen layouts
4. You talked about timelines a couple years ago on when you expected it out.

Thanks for the input, just a few of my thoughts below,

1.) Estimated price is just that though. An estimate, for a possible product. I get that it feels real, but the product is still in development and not finalized so things can change.

2.) We had a computer tab, but that is unrelated to this specific product. It was just a general tab, and we never had a specific product under it. We always intended to release a computer, but what that product was was never set in stone, or specified anywhere on the website.

3.) True, those were final software layouts, the predominant problems with the device were hardware as discussed earlier. Final screen layouts are not a final product, just one piece in the puzzle. This pieces of this puzzle unfortunately did not fit together in the end.

4.) Projects have timelines, but those change unfortunately. You have unexpected bumps with development in multiple areas, all projects do. We did intend to finish things on our timeline, but issues arose that needed to be solved, and that kept adding time, until we had to re-evaluate the project all together.

I know you said you weren't "marketing", but the four things above really combine to have people expect a release. That's a lot more than simply stating, "hey guys we are scoping out a prototype to see if it is feasible or not, share your input".

We did use the word prototype several times in the postings though. So if we tell you we are scoping out a prototype to see if is feasible or not, and we ask for your input, you don't want to know the projected price and what it is going to look like? I think those are important components when asking customers if they would be interested. I could always just tell people I have a box... it has an item in it... you can't open it... but tell me if you are interested :)

I think that the lesson from this matter is that never to talk about a product and get people's expectations up until the product is finalized, tested, passed testing, has no issues at all and is boxed up and ready for shipping.

So spend all the money developing it, finalize it, pay for certification testing, produce several hundred thousand dollars worth of product, stack it in a warehouse.... then say.... 'hey guys, do you think you would like to buy this, is it a viable product?'

That sounds like an awesome business plan! :wink:

People from D6 appear to be upset and very defensive in reaction to some of the feedback here in this thread but I think that for the most part people were excited and had lots of hopes and expectations for the entry level dive computer initially advertised by D6 but they were taken by the surprise of their finding out after about two years of anticipation that the whole plan has changed and the type of computer at the price they expected (the price was confirmed to be the same even when some change of features were announced sometime in the last two years. This was referenced by Chris in one of the posts in this forum a while back) isn't going to be offered and a totally different computer at a much higher price point (probably 3 times the price) will be offered instead.

I believe that most people here, myself included, have a lot of respect and admiration of D6 and Chris but were taken by surprise and disappointment after their high expectations of the original product announced and marketed but now abandoned by D6. The surprise and frustration felt by Chris and Landon was also felt by most of the D6 fans here who were waiting for "their" product. No one should take a defensive attitude here.

Honestly we aren't being defensive, we are answering questions and trying to clear up misconceptions. This has been a learning experience for us and we will definitely consider it before we release any information in the future.

With regards to any other possible computer.....
We'll see how it all shakes out of they decide to go with it as a Deep6-branded computer. Unfortunately, I think it would have to be at a significantly lower price point if they want to compete against the Shearwater stuff.
Hopefully if Deep6 uses that divecomputer.eu polish model they update the UI. It's pretty ugly from the screens I've seen.
It appears this will not add a lot to the currently available line up.

Thanks for the positive feedback and support guys, we will definitely take into consideration if we decide to release it at all :)

Last edited:
@LandonL : Trust me, I totally get it. I'm a software product manager and know how projects change. I also know how potential customers crucify us when we don't deliver or cancel projects as well :) Just calling out ways to mitigate things.

For me the interesting thing is when I was talking to someone at Deep6gear about an unrelated item, I brought up the computer and they were fine talking about their challenges. Point being, talk to them! You will get their honest update.

If we are talking about an unmet need in the dive computer market, obviously there is still a blank space where the sub-$500 Buhlman DC ought to be.

I would imagine that a relatively inexpensive computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16C would be successful, especially in the recreational market, increasingly being pursued by Shearwater, Ratio, Dive Soft and Garmin. A few well chosen GF presets would probably be sufficient though custom GF would be preferable.

I have been diving DSAT since 2002. I bought a Dive Rite Nitek Q for $400 so that I could learn Buhlmann before my next primary computer purchase. Unfortunate that the Nitek Q is no longer available. My over 8 year old Oceanic VT3 will not last forever and I'm not fond of the current Oceanic lineup

I was mostly just looking forward to an affordable dive computer that could run buhlmann instead of rgbm/z+. That was the difference across the entire marketplace. I don't think you can even get a buhlmann 16 based dive computer for cheaper than $700 or so right now?

With that said I'd love to see something that lands in the mid-tier range... not as expensive as a $1000 teric, but maybe something with a good screen, buhlman, and AI. I'm not sure how possible $400-500 would be for something like this, but it feels like it should be possible.

Hopefully if Deep6 uses that divecomputer.eu polish model they update the UI. It's pretty ugly from the screens I've seen.

market is too small to hit the economies of scale that other consumer electronics do to keep costs low enough and still leave profit for the manufacturer and retailer.

wouldn't bet on big changes to the UI, programmers cost a decent amount of coin.

Folks, I would have loved to deliver the unit we thought we would be able to 2 years ago. We couldn't. I never took orders, never offered for sale and told people not to hold out for it. I am deeply sorry if people feel let down. We are as well.

This new unit is totally not the same type of unit, and is not something that we developed or designed. We were approached and offered the Canada and US distribution of it and tried it and found it was a solid unit.

Is it under $500? No we wish. Can't happen.

Is this the final say in Deep 6 computers? No, we are still messing around on our own stuff but the first project was an expensive learning curve and will remain so.

Thank you @cerich for clearing that up :)

I am glad my 21yrs old Aladin is still working perfectly. And I can now kick the idea of a $139.00 Deep 6 computer to touch.
Aqualung i300 is just a wee bit expensive.

Back
Top Bottom