Got Air? Who Sips the Least?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SB members, " What is your average RMV?"

Still fail to see the point of this kind of question. My 15 year old, skinny grandson who has @40 dives and my 5'4'' svelte wife have a RMV that I could not touch on my best, most relaxed dive. However, that is meaningless except for planning purposes, and me knowing that whatever air I have in my tank, they are going to have more.

The best I ever recorded on the swimming portion of a dive was .34 swimming in a cave with no flow.

Now on a rebreather, I don't really need to worry about it. I usually calculate 1.0 for bailout.

I had a student recently that did two dives on a single set of doubles without filling in between in a high flow cave that would have required me to stage both dives. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't believe it. He had to be under a .25.

My last dive I was spearfishing, so working harder than a simple dive, digging under ledges competing with Goliaths, fending off shark attacks, you know typical stuff :cool:, mine was .48.

So in honor of Dumpsterdiver's signature, I gotta brag a bit about how low my SAC is.

20180721_060015.jpg

Its good to know how everyone is doing. SAC is really activity related. Sometimes mine is 0,38 sometimes its much higher and again it depends on what the heck I'm doing UW. Air is cheap so its not a big concern.

It originally came from a ScubaBoard reader pole. The OP just compiled the data after two years
Average Gas Consumption
Actually 2 reader polls, one posted in 2009 and the one I posted in 2016. This is a combination of both. The question was, what is your average RMV? In theory, this takes into account all the different kinds of dives you do and the conditions in which you dive. As an example, I have my RMV for nearly all of my last 1100+ dives. The variation is actually much less than you would expect. 95% of my dives fall into the range of 0.28-0.44 cf/min. For me, being cold is as important as my exertion level in determining gas consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom