Kauai Suggestions for July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When going over to Oahu, I'd highly suggest checking out "Kaimana Divers". Small groups and a fun/professional staff that is 2nd to none.

Thanks for the info Nick. Kaimana Divers happens to be less than 2 miles from where we will be staying in Oahu. Will check them out as our trip gets closer.

Seeing this thread comes at the perfect time for me. I’ll be headed to Kauai at the end of the month and was hoping to get some diving in. My main priorities will be with my son’s Boy Scout troop as we’re there for some hiking, but I was hoping to get a morning away for a dive or two and some diving after our scout responsibilities are done. From July 29-31 I’ll be camping at Anini Beach park (which supposedly has some great snorkeling). I was hoping to find some local guides/shops to rent tanks/weights and possibly get fills but I couldn’t find anything close on my Google searches. I’m aware of some nice dive spots like Tunnels in the area but would love some other recommendations or ideas on spots, shops, and possibly guided dives.

On the 5th or 6th I was planning on possibly going on a dive somewhere out of Lihue since we are staying there before we fly out on the 7th. Any recommendations? Thanks so much!

Seeing this thread comes at the perfect time for me. I’ll be headed to Kauai at the end of the month and was hoping to get some diving in. My main priorities will be with my son’s Boy Scout troop as we’re there for some hiking, but I was hoping to get a morning away for a dive or two and some diving after our scout responsibilities are done. From July 29-31 I’ll be camping at Anini Beach park (which supposedly has some great snorkeling). I was hoping to find some local guides/shops to rent tanks/weights and possibly get fills but I couldn’t find anything close on my Google searches. I’m aware of some nice dive spots like Tunnels in the area but would love some other recommendations or ideas on spots, shops, and possibly guided dives.

On the 5th or 6th I was planning on possibly going on a dive somewhere out of Lihue since we are staying there before we fly out on the 7th. Any recommendations? Thanks so much!

Seasport Divers has a shop in Kapaa that can rent you tanks/weights. They are the closest shop to the north shore. Tunnels beach however is unaccessible due to the road being closed on the north end due to the recent flooding a few months back. Anini beach is a great snorkel location, too shallow for scuba. At first it seems to be barren, but cruise around slowly and keep your eyes open! Anini is the only location I have gotten to see a Hawaiian Seahorse. You'll also find lined sea hares and various sap sucking slugs. Out towards the break west of the boat launch/channel it gets a little deeper, like 10ft, where I've seen spotted eagle rays cruising on occasion. Sea turtles will be around too. As always, keep poking your head up time to time so you know what part of the beach you left from and not getting too far. Something onshore as a landmark helps a ton!

Lined Sea Hare, Stylocheilus striatus

Order Sacoglossa, Family Plakobranchidae

Smooth Seahorse, Hippocampus kuda

There aren't any shops leaving from the Lihue area. Your closest bet would be the Poipu/Koloa area about 20 minutes away. There is an awesome shore dive there (Koloa Landing) and every shop offers guided dives there. There are 3 shops that offer boat dives from that area, Fathom Five, Seasports, Kauai Down Under. Our shop does the Koloa Landing shore dives in that area, however our boat harbor is about a 40 minute drive from Lihue. We do get the most lee side of the island and have been having some AMAZING conditions with critter filled dives. I could type on here for hours about the critters but only so much time in my busy day!

Let me know if you have any further questions. I'm more than happy to help out.

-Nick

What do most people use for thermal protection in July? What are the expected water temps?

We're usually in the 78f-82f in summer. I personally only wear a long sleeve lava core in the summer, but most still wear wetsuits. In the summer a full 3mm-5mm with the occasional diver only wearing a shorty or a rash guard. Sometimes we get freshwater leaching out from the porous island and can get chilly but not often.

In summary, If you tend to not get cold, a shorty, lava core, or rash guard will do. If you question getting cold just go with a full 3-5mm.

-Nick

Back from Kauai! We did a shore dive at Koloa Landing and then 3 dives at Ni'ihau.

For the shore dive we rented tanks at Seasport and went on our own. We saw several turtles. Viz was just ok. We heard the day before it was much worse. We've seen turtles many places and with better viz. So to us, this dive was just a way to test gear and get the kids back in the water before heading out to Ni'ihau.

We went with Fathom Five Divers to Ni'ihau. There were 6 divers (the 5 of us and a single from TN). Bahar was our divemaster and she was great! She gave a great dive briefing and an appropriate warning regarding safety considering the long boat ride to help. She warned us that she would make sure we were safe but then after we got in the water and she saw we are competent divers, she left us alone which is perfect. We saw one shark for about 30 seconds on the first dive and we saw Hawaiian monk seals on all 3 dives for a good portion of the dives. The seals were interactive - playing hide and seek with Bahar and followed us on our dive which was super cool. Other than the seals and the 30 seconds of the shark, the dives were just ok. Viz was good but there isn't coral to speak and not many small fish. The topography is interesting but not interesting enough for the price. The seals made it worth it I guess...I still have sticker shock. Glad we saw them but wow when you're paying for 5, that's an expensive day! Before the trip I heard warnings of the rough boat ride. To me, it wasn't that bad but I've been in a lot of situations (liveaboards, etc) and never been sick. The only 2 that needed dramamine were the ones that have been seasick in the past. Bahar did say the conditions can get a lot worse. We had about average conditions. Water was warmer than I expected. My computer said 77/78. I wore a 3mm + hooded vest which I always wear. I'm typically cold. No one in the group really complained of being cold and they all had 3mm.

Topside, Kauai is fantastic! Hiking was fun, beaches were pretty, plant/flowers/trees were amazing, etc.

Back
Top Bottom