Diving the Baja Sur Cabo San Lucas – San Jose Del Cabo – Cabo Pulmo – La Paz - La Ventana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the time & effort to turn out a knowledgable guide to help newcomers consider a destination that doesn't seem to have as much info. out there as, say, Cozumel or Bonaire. I've wondered about the region in a 'maybe someday' way, and I see need-to-know info. there. A few follow up questions...

1.) Are English-only folks likely to run into hassles at any of those places? Cozumel & much of the rest of the Caribbean are so heavily English-prevalent it's worth mentioning parts of mainland Mexico may not be so much.

2.) Of the animals you mention, some (e.g.: orcas & mako sharks) aren't species I hear much of showing up randomly on reef dives, but rather seem associated with excursions looking for them (in fairness, some probably prefer it that way!). Any idea of regional operators specifically target encounters with those? And is the whale watching from a boat, or do people often get in the water with them (dive or snorkel)?

Richard.

The language won't be an issue in tourism. Outside of tourism based businesses, i.e restaurants and hotels it's spanish. However a lot of locals speak english, at least a little bit.

There is one company in Cabo San Lucas that does blue water trips, they do chum the water so you'll have to decide if you agree with that or not. I don't so I won't mention them here but you can look them up.

The big pelagics and blue water stuff is usually an added bonus on a dive trip. It's a big ocean and you just have to get lucky.

All whale watching is strictly from the boat. You are not allowed to swim with whales in Mexico.

Trevor,
From reading your dive guide. Things have changed a bit since we were there quite a few years ago.
We will be there before Christmas and most likely staying around in the area until we depart for the South Pacific in Late March or early April, on our own sailboat with all our own gear and compressor.
We last dived Cabo Plumo when we were there in 1999-2000. I was really looking forward to diving it after the conservation activities have been in force and being able to compare the then vs now.
In your dive guide you mention the rules for scuba divers at Cabo Plumo. It would seem to me that the only way that these rules could be enforced is that all diving is limited to a single company, or small group of non competing companies that has an exclusive and expensive license to dive the area?
A friend today stopped by and we were talking and he said he thought that you could no longer dive the area with out a dive guide. Is this true?
Thanks,
Guy
:)

Spent several winters working as a marine biologist/underwater videographer on Lindblad Expeditions eco-cruise ships. Was able to dive from the Loreto area south to Cabo (and on some trips on up the coast to Mag Bay for the whales). Enjoyed Los Islotes quite a bit on several dives... especially the exposed side. This region is an interesting transition between the kelp forests of my home (Catalina Island) and the coral reefs.

Thanks for the time & effort to turn out a knowledgable guide to help newcomers consider a destination that doesn't seem to have as much info. out there as, say, Cozumel or Bonaire. I've wondered about the region in a 'maybe someday' way, and I see need-to-know info. there. A few follow up questions...

1.) Are English-only folks likely to run into hassles at any of those places? Cozumel & much of the rest of the Caribbean are so heavily English-prevalent it's worth mentioning parts of mainland Mexico may not be so much.

2.) Of the animals you mention, some (e.g.: orcas & mako sharks) aren't species I hear much of showing up randomly on reef dives, but rather seem associated with excursions looking for them (in fairness, some probably prefer it that way!). Any idea of regional operators specifically target encounters with those? And is the whale watching from a boat, or do people often get in the water with them (dive or snorkel)?

Richard.

1) English is widely spoken in touristy areas like Los Cabos, tour operators and hospitality businesses in la Paz and Loreto. Outside Los Cabos, regular townfolk don't speak much english but you most likely will get by. Shouldn't be an issue.
2) You are right. You can ecnounter sharks every now and then in some spots, and more likely in off shore seamounts, although their number seem to have decreased a lot in the last years. Orcas can be more likely seen around the beginning of the summer when the schools of mobula rays come into the Cortez. Yup, you guessed right, they eat them! We have seen orcas every now and then in Loreto in the last few weeks, and I know they did the same in La Paz and Los Cabos. As for shark/pelagic tours, that is the best way to get to swim with these animals. They normally do chumming to get their attention and then you can dive/snorkel with them, but this depend on the operator. There are a couple of them in los Cabos. Google pelagic safari or cabo shark dive.

Hello,
I am travelling to Baja California Sur in february for a Socorro scuba cruise and when back on land i decided to stay almost 1 week on land to do some more exploring.

Here comes the question:
my original plan was to dive in La Paz a couple days then move to cabo san lucas the last 2 days but after reading the guide i started lookin for Cabo Pulmo.
the choice is probably between diving La Paz mainly for the sea lions and the whale sharks or diving Cabo Pulmo for the Bull Sharks and the Schooling Jacks
Honestly the choice is pretty much dependant on the presence of the jacks (since i have been diving with bull sharks recently), in the guide you said that the season start in summer ending in december, so i was wondering if in february they are completely gone or just lower in numbers and still worth it
Another fast question,
I have read that sea lions should be present in Cabo Pulmo aswell, is at the same level as the diving in La Paz or not worth it?

Any first hand information is really welcome

Sorry for my poor english and thanks a lot for the help
Thor

Hi there!
I live in Loreto and have dove Baja Sur quite a lot.
La Paz has the biggest sea lion colony of Baja Sur, and it's a great experience. Young animals are very inquisitive and used to people. Really fun! Getting there though, is a full day trip (same for diving in general). In February you would be able to swim with the whalesharks, literally 5 minutes from the marina. You can book a trip just by walking by the boardwalk as there are many boats literally departing from the beach. As per usual, before enrrolling in a cheap trip, have a look at the boat and whether it has all the mandatory equipment and its in good shape!
I dove Cabo Pulmo in winter as well and although is pretty diving, you won't find the schools of jacks, also I haven't seen sharks there then. Most of the schooling mesopelagic fish tend to gather towards the summer months.
There is a small colony in Cabo Pulmo, very fun too but nothing close to the magnitude of the one in La Paz.

I can not go without recommending to have a look at Loreto as well. It's an idilic place for divers and nature lovers in general, and I feel that a thread about diving in Baja must include this destination as well, as it's a super spot! And you can fly there straight from LAX, Tijuana or Cabo :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom