Recent double hose reg training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an octo on mine because I'm under no false assumptions that any of my dive buddies would be able to buddy breathe a double hose.

A few months ago I was playing around, thinking of possible DH configurations for very cold water diving. So, I thought to try a Y-valve fitted with my DH (with drysuit whip) on one post and a single-hose reg (with SPG, BC inflator hose, and backup second stage) on the other. My intention was to use one of my Poseidon's. Alas, the Poseidon wouldn't quite work, so I used one of my Scubapro Mk 10 + G250/Balanced Adjustables, instead.

I never dove this configuration. However, this was a fun exercise.

rx7diver

Attachments

• DSC04363.jpg
    DSC04363.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC04370.jpg
    DSC04370.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 97
A few months ago I was playing around, thinking of possible DH configurations for very cold water diving. So, I thought to try a Y-valve fitted with my DH (with drysuit whip) on one post and a single-hose reg (with SPG, BC inflator hose, and backup second stage) on the other. My intention was to use one of my Poseidon's. Alas, the Poseidon wouldn't quite work, so I used one of my Scubapro Mk 10 + G250/Balanced Adjustables, instead.

I never dove this configuration. However, this was a fun exercise.

rx7diver

That's pretty slick! I've never used a double let hose in cold water. How prone are they to freezing?

That's pretty slick! I've never used a double let hose in cold water. How prone are they to freezing?

Some of us swear by them as a superior design for cold water.

On my small data sample I've froze single hose regs but not a double hose yet.

How prone are they to freezing?

JohnnyC,

My understanding is, my U.S. Divers DA Aqua-Master double hose reg is much less likely to freeze up than a lot of single-hose regulators--because it's internals do not come into direct contact with the water. (It is a diaphragm reg, after all.)

In fact, by placing my Mk 10 in the mix in the configuration above, I have probably increased the chances of freeze up (since a Mk 10 that is not "environmentalized" is not a particularly good reg to use in extremely cold water). My Poseidon Odin would have been a much better choice, probably. However, the Odin is a bit too fat, and hoses coming off of it don't route particularly well for this configuration.

One of these days I'll give this a dive. (Drysuit has shrunk, though.)

rx7diver

I've used my DH regs exclusively for ice dives. They have many advantages, starting with being a large heat sink, sealed (diaphragm), and the second stage mechanism is not seeing your moist exhalation vapors to possibly ice up.

@rx7diver : you have the Phoenix stage, why then the double valve? With the Phoenix, you have all the ports needed.

...the second stage mechanism is not seeing your moist exhalation vapors to possibly ice up.

Good point, I never even considered. One way, non-returning loop. Both stages see dry tank gas only.

@rx7diver

"I just came across one of them when I was searching for my copy of "The New Science...". This textbook, by Robert R. Springer, is titled "Skin & Scuba Diver's Digest -- Fundamentals, Techniques, Equipment for Novice and Expert," and has copyright date MCMLXXV [1975]. Interestingly, this book contains relatively little treatment of double hose regulators--though it has several pictures and illustrations of divers diving them."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bob Springer was local to Orange County California

Dive history is just too boring

Last edited:
@rx7diver : you have the Phoenix stage, why then the double valve? With the Phoenix, you have all the ports needed.

@rhwestfall,

Additional insurance against freeze-up in very cold water. There is an increased chance of 1st-stage freeze-up if too much is being demanded of a 1st stage. So, drysuit for one first stage, and BC for the other 1st stage. And if you and a buddy are sharing gas, then one 1st stage for you, and the other first stage for your buddy. Etc.

When I dove single-tank recreational dives in the Great Lakes, for example, I would wear a large cylinder with a Y- or H-valve, with a complete Poseidon Odin mounted on each outlet. (I actually prefer a Y-valve to an H-valve.)

ETA: Also, if you do get a free-flow from a freeze-up and you shut down the offending post, you still have gas to breathe and one source of flotation.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom