Reef friendly sunscreen and hair products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m reviving an old thread to see if anyone has tried the tinted sunscreen from Stream2Sea?

I’m interesting in buying a few products to try, namely the leave-in conditioner, body lotion, shampoo/body wash, after sun gel but I wasn’t sure about the tinted sunscreen.

Thanks!

I’m reviving an old thread to see if anyone has tried the tinted sunscreen from Stream2Sea?

I’m interesting in buying a few products to try, namely the leave-in conditioner, body lotion, shampoo/body wash, after sun gel but I wasn’t sure about the tinted sunscreen.

Thanks!

The leave in conditioner absolutely rocks !

Thanks!

Hey @outofofficebrb - as the Formulator and Founder of Stream2Sea, I'm obviously a bit biased, but believe they are all excellent choices to protect yourself and our waters. The shampoo is a bit different than typical - it doesn't lather as much as you might be used to and is thinner, but cleans brilliantly and leaves your skin and hair very soft. The lotion is full of antioxidants and is formulated to help nourish your skin after days in the salt and sun. The leave-in conditioner is our most loved product. The sting gel is great for sunburn, but there's also nothing better for jellyfish, fire coral and mosquito bites. The tinted sunscreen is new but I I think it's a game-changer for us. Check out my new application video that shows the difference - and let me know if you have any other questions! And of course, the entire line is made without any ingredients known to harm us or the aquatic environment, and tested and proven safe :)

Hey @outofofficebrb - as the Formulator and Founder of Stream2Sea, I'm obviously a bit biased, but believe they are all excellent choices to protect yourself and our waters. The shampoo is a bit different than typical - it doesn't lather as much as you might be used to and is thinner, but cleans brilliantly and leaves your skin and hair very soft. The lotion is full of antioxidants and is formulated to help nourish your skin after days in the salt and sun. The leave-in conditioner is our most loved product. The sting gel is great for sunburn, but there's also nothing better for jellyfish, fire coral and mosquito bites. The tinted sunscreen is new but I I think it's a game-changer for us. Check out my new application video that shows the difference - and let me know if you have any other questions! And of course, the entire line is made without any ingredients known to harm us or the aquatic environment, and tested and proven safe :)

Thanks, @Autumn. I made an order and also pitched it to our bodycare buyer at the company I work for. :) I saw your video last night via a YouTube search and that was what got me interested in the tinted one. I ended up ordering it because I had a coupon and I wasn’t quite at $50 with the coupon for free shipping so it was only a few dollars more to get free shipping and to get to try it. I will report back!

Will put in a good work for the tinted stuff too, I love it. My shop sells this too.

I will admit that I've always been horrible about wearing sunscreen. Many of them irritate my skin or runs into my eyes. I can only imagine what they do to our environment. I am starting to see the effects of years in the FL sun. Since Autumn at Stream2Sea came out with the Tinted SPF30, I put it on as soon as I wake up. The Sun & Sting gel is very healing for just about every skin irritation I've tried it on.

I just received my Stream2Sea order today. I haven’t had the chance to try the products out yet but my first impression are as follows:

Quick shipping! The packaging is beautiful. It’s eye catching and fresh looking. The hand/texture of the packaging makes it feel like a premium product. I’m usually quite particular and sensitive with smells so buying the full line of product online only was pretty scary in that I didn’t know what I was going to get scent wise and whether it was going to work out. Everything smelled great! My only hesitation is on the gel - it seemed a little too strong and sharp for my liking. I think its refreshing but dialed down a few notches would be ideal. I will report back once I use the product.

After reading reviews and several threads I have the S2S leave in conditioner in my Amazon cart. :)

Any updates on the sunscreen, yah or nay or better alternates?

To those with a history of precancer or cancer, face or lips (mine was precancer on lip), do you use a separate screen screen lip balm or just use the same skin product?

After reading reviews and several threads I have the S2S leave in conditioner in my Amazon cart. :)

Any updates on the sunscreen, yah or nay or better alternates?

To those with a history of precancer or cancer, face or lips (mine was precancer on lip), do you use a separate screen screen lip balm or just use the same skin product?

Hi, @uncfnp. I purchased their (Stream2Sea) tinted and regular sunscreens. If you've not used physical sunscreens before, application and amount is very different from that of chemical sunscreens. A little goes a long way and I find that applying in small sections and blending each section before moving to the next is best instead of applying large blobs. Less is more until you get the coverage you need. I like the tinted for my face and regular for body but only because the regular is less expensive. Overall, I prefer the tinted version because it blends in nicely with my skintone and doesn't leave a cast of white. @Autumnb 's video above summarizes how to apply quite nicely and it worked very well for me.

A friend of mine ordered a coral safe sunscreen that also says it is 100% biodegradable on Amazon that was much runnier and less viscous than S2S's. I don't know if it really is completely coral safe (both inactive and active ingredients) because they do not offer any 3rd party lab data to confirm this. However, it was easier to apply because of the consistency so maybe that is something you can look into. Coral Safe SPF 30 Biodegradable Sunscreen https://www.amazon.com/Sunscreen-Bi...8-2-spons&keywords=coral+safe+sunscreen&psc=1

Hi, everyone!

I promised I would return with a review on the products that I bought. After having watched Chasing Coral, A Plastic Ocean, and reading study after study about suncreen and the overall impacts on the ocean, I discovered Stream2Sea and was so quickly drawn in. Stream2Sea's product story is so compelling and thoughtful from its packaging, what is used for shipping, to the actual product itself and the telling 3rd party lab testing.

I got back in mid May from a 3 week diving trip to the Philippines. I was on a liveaboard in Tubbataha for 1 week, at a dive resort in Puerto Galera for almost another full week, and then did a dive safari for 3 nights/4 days where we stayed in a different local guest houses each night, and dived/ate on the boat during the day. I brought the following Stream2Sea products with me to use on this trip for the first time and used nothing else for personal care for these 3 weeks apart from my usual deodorant and toothpaste. I'm interested in seeking the most coral safe options for toothpaste and deodorant that is also able to biodegrade in a relatively short amount of time. If you have any suggestions for this as well as a good laundry wash option, please let me know. In a pinch, I guess I could use Stream2Sea's shampoo/body wash but am wondering if there is something better for my swimwear and technical fabrics (shirts/pants/underwear) but I'm hoping there will be something this community has to recommend. (Thank you in advance!) Overall, I plan to incorporate the following products into my everyday products.

Here are my thoughts below after having used these products exclusively for 3 weeks. I hope someone finds this useful. I am in no way affiliated with Stream2Sea and am not receiving any compensation to offer my thoughts on the products.

• SPF30 Tinted Sunscreen, 3 ounce, $17.95 and SPF 30 Sunscreen for Body, 3 ounce, $16.95. Scent-free. I've been using the tinted on my face and the un-tinted regular version on my body. I apply both versions minimally and in small sections. For the tinted version on my face, I apply similar to how I would apply tinted moisturizers, BB creams, or foundation. I do a few sheer dots and gently pat to evenly distribute and slightly blend, then do a combination of sweeping/swiping/patting motions to finish off. I have a black Oceanic Shadow Mini dive mask and it doesn't make it slip or slide to affect the seal to cause leaks nor does it stain the skirt. The finish is similar to a matte BB cream and actually evens out my complexion and skintone which I'm quite happy about. Diving isn't a glamorous activity with snot, saliva, and salty hair so I can use all the help I can get. :) I continue to use this at home and really like it. I do have normal to slightly dry skin and at home will sometimes have flaky skin, especially in the winter, but generally don't run into issues when diving since I mostly vacation dive in humid areas. My skin loves the humidity and drinks it right up. I find that it is slightly more difficult to apply in a drier and colder environment because the texture/consistency is a little more thick. If you do have dry skin, I recommend that you moisturize often and well in order to help with application because if not, it will accentuate any flakey/dry skin you may have. Overall, I really like this product and would re-purchase. I love that it doesn't leave a white cast. The body version I have that is un-tinted does leave a bit of a cast. I don't use this on my face. I can clearly see areas that I've missed and areas that I need to re-apply with. I'd say that it isn't particularly special compared to other mineral sunscreens that I have used in the past but I love love love the Stream2Sea story so will continue to purchase it. I do wish the texture were a little creamier so that it is easier to apply so I do leave it in the sun to help with this a bit, especially when being applied over large areas like back or thighs, etc. I wonder if the face/body version is that way (creamier/easier to apply) compared to just the body version. @Autumnb, are you able to shed some light on this? If it's creamier, I would buy that instead. I am considering just purchasing the tinted version in the future since the price difference is negligible and I like not having the white cast so that is something to keep in mind if the cast is something that bothers you. Using it every day, I did not finish the tube. It is still very full. I will re-purchase the 3 ounce size but will not purchase the 32 ounce bulk size since it would take forever to get through it.
  • Sun and Sting Relief Gel, 6 ounce, $12.95. Out of the box, I was most hesitant about this product. I'm quite sensitive to scents as is Mr. OOO. I'm usually fine with something that is mostly fruity and light but am usually overwhelmed with anything particularly sharp or strong, especially if it is floral. When I first sampled this product at home, I was worried it would be very strong. However, upon application, my worries subsided and it ended up being quite a pleasant scent. It's a bit minty with some green tea. Fast forward to my trip and add some mosquito bites on land and some stingers/hydroids/coral on my wrist going through a swim-through. I applied some to my mosquito bites as well as some itchy heat rash areas and it felt so much better afterwards. After the swim-through, I surfaced, put some vinegar and hot water on the area, then applied some to the area. It felt so nice! I even put it in the fridge at the resort for some extra oomph. I sat in the shade on the LOB one day and didn't think about my back facing the water and the reflection of the UV rays to my back. My back was so red for 2 days and this was a nice relief. (Luckily, I didn't peel at all!) I continue to keep this in the fridge and use it at home when I have any kind of itchy skin or irritation. We continue to use it and would re-purchase. My only complaint is the packaging. The texture of the product is quite runny and a lot comes out at once out of the large hole. I wish the hole in the packaging were smaller when trying to use it so that it would create more resistance and a bit more controlled dispensing of the product. I'll continue to purchase but will not purchase the 32 ounce size since it would take me a long time to finish the 6 ounce.
  • Nourishing Body Lotion, 6 ounce, $12.95. I actually really loved the scent here. It's a light coconut scent. I've continued to use this as my every day moisturizer at home and am looking to order the 32 ounce version as I plan to abandon all other body moisturizers. My skin tends to get dry when exposed to salt water or chlorine. It is a very light feeling moisturizer and absorbs relatively quickly without feeling sticky or heavy, even in extremely humid climates. It doesn't sting after a fresh shave on my sensitive skin. This is one of my favorite products from them and I love that I can use a product while being somewhat sustainable and responsible for the environment. 3 weeks of every day use did not exhaust my supply.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom