Cancun to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poolecw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As most of you guys know, the cost to fly into Cancun is a lot less expensive than flying into Cozumel. My wife and I are not international travelers and the thought of us trying to make it from the Cancun airport to one of the resorts in Cozumel is a little intimidating. Can you guys give some advice on how to make this transfer smoothly and safely? Any specific transfer companies that will coordinate the entire process from Cancun airport to the ferry and then from the ferry to the resort?

As most of you guys know, the cost to fly into Cancun is a lot less expensive than flying into Cozumel. My wife and I are not international travelers and the thought of us trying to make it from the Cancun airport to one of the resorts in Cozumel is a little intimidating. Can you guys give some advice on how to make this transfer smoothly and safely? Any specific transfer companies that will coordinate the entire process from Cancun airport to the ferry and then from the ferry to the resort?
If you trawl this subforum for "bag drag" you will find many threads on this subject. FWIW, I know of no single transport company who will get you all the way from the CUN airport to your CZM hotel. The tradeoff for the money you save by flying into CUN is the task of getting yourself from CUN to CZM and back.

There are three steps: CUN airport to Playa del Carmen, ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel, Cozumel ferry dock to hotel. The biggest variable is the Cancun to Playa link; there are a number of ways to get from one to the other. From Playa it's the ferry to Cozumel (there are two or three ferry companies; just take the one that leaves next). There is a taxi stand at the ferry dock on Cozumel; just drag your equipaje to the street and grab a cab to your hotel.

Last edited:

It’s really easy and not intimidating at all. Just decide if you want to take the bus or get a private taxi. Taxi costs $50. Once you get off the ferry there are plenty taxis to take you to your hotel.

The bus is about $15/person so for 2 people a taxi isn't much more and probably slightly faster and a little more convenient. Most of the taxi drivers speak enough English that they will understand Playa ferry. They drop you off 2 blocks or so from the ferry. The bus station is a little further walk but not much.

We've always taken the bus from CUN to Playa Del Carmen; it's about $11 per person, takes about an hour, and is very simple. To catch the ADO bus from CUN, exit the airport and turn to the right; you'll see them all parked there. You can buy tickets at the bus or you can get them from the ticket booth in the airport right before you exit.

At the bus station in Playa, exit through the doors and walk toward the beach (very easy to see which direction to go). The ferry terminal is a short walk south along the waterfront; you can almost see the ferry terminal from the bus station.

Ferry tickets are about $13 pp; as was mentioned above, there are two or three different ferry companies and they're essentially all the same (price, service, etc.) Just make sure you get in the right line for the ferry you paid for. If you're not sure, ask.

As an alternative, there are a couple airlines that fly small planes from CUN to CZM. One is Mayair, and I'm blanking on the name of the other. I've used these a couple times... a quick 20 minute flight from CUN to CZM or the other direction. Cost is around $60... a little more expensive than taking the bus and ferry, but a lot quicker and much more convenient. A bit of internet searching should let you find the options.

Hope this helps!

A friend of mine took Maya Air from Cancun to Coz, they have small planes and limit the luggage, but it's cheap and may work out.

As an alternative, there are a couple airlines that fly small planes from CUN to CZM. One is Mayair, and I'm blanking on the name of the other. I've used these a couple times... a quick 20 minute flight from CUN to CZM or the other direction. Cost is around $60... a little more expensive than taking the bus and ferry, but a lot quicker and much more convenient.

Depending on how much luggage you have, the skip flight may or may not be an option for you.

Depending on how much luggage you have, the skip flight may or may not be an option for you.

Ahhh... true. I should have mentioned that. I think they limit luggage to one checked bag (maybe 50 lb limit?) and one personal item. I bring all my gear with me when I go on a dive trip and I manage to fit it all in one regular suitcase, which I check, and one backpack, which I keep with me at my seat.

Mayair baggage allowance:

Baggage allowance for Mayair flights 44lbs , extra lb $5.00 usd plus tax ( VAT 16%) .
Carry ons one piece per person, these items should not exceed following dimensions : : tall 14.5 in (37 cm), wide 10.6 in (27 cm), long 17.7 in (45 cm) and its weight shall not exceed 11 pounds (5 kilos).
All carry-on baggage must be stowed under the seat.

I've done the reverse twice by myself (most recently yesterday) and have never set foot in Playa or CUN prior to it. Was easy to do. CUN airport is a bit of a zoo-especially compared to CZM, but it was definitely worth the savings for me. ADO buses are air conditioned and if you sit inside the ferry it's got AC too. Doing the reverse, I left CZM on the 9AM ferry yesterday and was at T3 around 11:15.

As YLE says, the walk from the ADO station to the ferry terminal is easy and takes about 5-7 minutes. You walk straight down the hill and at the water take a right until you hit the ferry terminal. For ease of mind, you can also use google maps for the walk if you want.

Back
Top Bottom