Grand Turk or Cozumel for a quick 7 day dive trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "money being about the same" doesn't sound quite right, but I don't go luxury in Coz...:confused:

My thoughts too :wink:

Me too!

@Robertcrockett, where would you be staying and diving on GT that would be as cheap as Cozumel? I have not been to Grand Turk but I have been to Provo and on liveaboards in the T&Cs and I've always felt that it was a rather pricey destination - but nice and very good diving - and lots of sharks.

One thing to consider, the T&Cs were hit twice by hurricanes last year but I think that Cozumel got lucky and didn't take any direct hits - so there might be rebuilding going on GT. I don't know if that is the case, it's just something that you might want to check out.

You could plan on going to Coz or someplace else this year and the T&Cs another year.

How did you narrow it down to those 2 choices? With a tight travel schedule you might want to pick a place with easy travel options, so you don't have to spend a lot of time in airports. Will you have to travel a distance to a large city to find an international airport?

When we do a 1-week trip it is usually 8 days (2 days for travel and 6 days of diving). If you only have exactly 7 days then try not to waste much time on the travel portion.

Last edited:
Me too!

@Robertcrockett, where would you be staying and diving on GT that would be as cheap as Cozumel? I have not been to Grand Turk but I have been to Provo and on liveaboards in the T&Cs and I've always felt that it was a rather pricey destination - but nice and very good diving - and lots of sharks.

One thing to consider, the T&Cs were hit twice by hurricanes last year but I think that Cozumel got lucky and didn't take any direct hits - so there might be rebuilding going on GT. I don't know if that is the case, it's just something that you might want to check out.

You could plan on going to Coz or someplace else this year and the T&Cs another year.

How did you narrow it down to those 2 choices? With a tight travel schedule you might want to pick a place with easy travel options, so you don't have to spend a lot of time in airports. Will you have to travel a distance to a large city to find an international airport?

When we do a 1-week trip it is usually 8 days (2 days for travel and 6 days of diving). If you only have exactly 7 days then try not to waste much time on the travel portion.
@KathyV, Bohio on Grand Turk completed their renovations and repairs following the hurricanes several months ago and have been back up and running since then. As for cost, from the Bohio website, a 7day Dive package starts at $2015 per person, and that includes:
  • 7 nights accommodation
  • 10 dives based on two morning boat dives (5 days of diving). Includes tanks, weights*
  • Breakfast (coffee, tea, juice included) and lunch in the famous Guanahani Restaurant.
  • inter-island flights
  • airport transfers
  • welcome drink
  • Free use of kayaks, hobie cats, paddle boards and snorkel equipment.
  • Free bottled water in guest rooms & on dive boat. (Bottled water in Restaurant not included).
  • All taxes and fees.
*dives not taken non-refundable (except if our dive boat does not go out due to weather)

Note that this package includes the flight from Provo to/from Grand Turk. It is almost (but not quite) an all inclusive price since dinner is not included neither are drinks.

@KathyV, Bohio on Grand Turk completed their renovations and repairs following the hurricanes several months ago and have been back up and running since then. As for cost, from the Bohio website, a 7day Dive package starts at $2015 per person, and that includes:
  • 7 nights accommodation
  • 10 dives based on two morning boat dives (5 days of diving). Includes tanks, weights*
  • Breakfast (coffee, tea, juice included) and lunch in the famous Guanahani Restaurant.
  • inter-island flights
  • airport transfers
  • welcome drink
  • Free use of kayaks, hobie cats, paddle boards and snorkel equipment.
  • Free bottled water in guest rooms & on dive boat. (Bottled water in Restaurant not included).
  • All taxes and fees.
*dives not taken non-refundable (except if our dive boat does not go out due to weather)

Note that this package includes the flight from Provo to/from Grand Turk. It is almost (but not quite) an all inclusive price since dinner is not included neither are drinks.

By contrast, and I am not advocating one over the other, but to the point that others were making regarding the cost comparison:
You can stay at a wonderful downtown hotel in the heart of San Miguel in Cozumel with an excellent buffet breakfast for $335 for 7 nights accommodations (both people included): Suites Colonial Cozumel - or upgrade to a suite with a kitchenette for $396 a week. Rates do go up over the Xmas/New Year holiday period. But these are the standard rates.

You can do 5 days of 2 tank boat dives for $370 per person on the low end or $500-$550 on the high end. Staying downtown affords you outstanding and walkable night life and more great restaurants than you can shake a stick at.

Full disclosure: I have a place on GT and love it very much.

GT is more or less recovered from the hurricanes. A lot of the damage that you may see could well be from Ike (10 years ago). It's definitely an island that takes you back in time to what most islands were like 30+ years ago. Bohio is great and it is the most luxurious place to stay on the island (as far as amenities go). If you're a little more self sufficient I would very much recommend Manta hous (its across the street from Sand Bar) or The Osperey. Both of those are a few feet away from Grand Turk Diving and Blue Water Divers. I can wholeheartedly recommend BWD, I know folks who love GT diving as well.

Staying at either of these options put you more in the middle of the small, small social scene that is GT expats. Bohio is a bit more isolated and a lot of people that stay there never leave the resort. Your mileage may vary and it depends what you're looking for. Feel free to PM me if you have any GT specific questions. A 7 day time frame is no problem for GT, there are multiple flights back and forth to provo every day. Provo is a 3 hour flight from NYC, pretty easy.

To us it's more about the abundance of life, reef health and an interesting place to spend our evenings. Fill me in.
We were in Grand Turk for about 9 days in Oct 2014. The walls were awesome, swim thru at 65' come out at 90' turn around and see a solid sheet of rock , start adding air because you're sinking. The fish life was nonexistant, in the sand flats vis was 20', keep DM in sight or surface to find boat.
Don't stay at Salt Shaker, another story, just don't, better places for whatever it costs. But it is a happening bar/dance on weekends.
Locals are awesome, laid back for sure, will open up liquor store after hours because they're all hanging out in front of it anyway. In the afternoons the passing locals all say "goodnite" when you pass. Donkeys running free around town. Dogs will inspect your bags to see if you have anything they want. Some good cheap eats, the Chicken Poop, whole or half chicken for a few bucks, a BBQ place in a neighborhood at someones house where they're dancing in the yard, placing dominoes, even called Pam over to flip the ribs.
I would go again if the fish pop inproved and the vis. May have been a storm that week.

Been to Cozumel about 6 times and that is were i would tell you to go first out of the two choices. It too has awesome walls and incredible deep topography( Coz has a large area of different and varying reefs all along the west shore). The shallower dives blow Grand Turk away with clarity, abundance of fish, coral heads, etc. On your off day or after morning dives drive over to the east (wild) side. Stop at all 4 or 5 beach huts/restaurants and take lots of pics of the beautiful water.
We always stay close to town for the evening walk to street food or open air sidewalk restaurants

Man, you guys got a bad week. I've heard lots of complaints about GT, none were ever about vis.

Never been to Grand Turk; dove once out of 3 cruise ship stops at Coz., so take with a grain of salt:

1.) Coz. is often praised for its 'food scene,' at least if you stay in town and don't do A.I. Is that important to you?

2.) Grand Turks doesn't seem to be hit nearly as often as Cozumel, judging from trip reports. Does the 'off the beaten path' quality make it special for you?

I don't know what you should do, but perhaps answers to those might help?

Best answer...do one & plan the other later. Since people often do Coz. repeatedly, maybe try G.T. now and enjoy Cozumel next time?

Richard.
We like it a bit of the beaten path... Love little corn island in Nicaragua... Pretty much had to walk 15 minutes through ankle deep mudholes in the jungle to even get to our bungalow lol

Me too!

We generally Airbnb it when we can... We usually find nicer accommodations at a budget price but with the added break from the resort crowds and then pick a close by dive op or two.... We're both nurses (her ICU and me in the hellville of ER... But working our 13 hour stretches it basically means we have every other week off so we take a lot of small trips... Last week was islamorada in the Keys.. We have a few extra days on this trip though that we can throw at travel if needed..... We usually dive in Honduras or Nicaragua and were just looking to hit someplace different for the experience... Ultimately.... If we're diving then it's a good time..

Booked flights to GT... Figured we would do a quick trip to coz in the coming months... Rented a three bedroom chalet 5 minutes from Grand Turk Diving... Should be good times!
Screenshot_20180722-113619~01.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom