Compressor for fills at my house

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

although i wish i had a compressor... the local fire dept is probably a cheaper option if you can form a good relation with them. I fill at the dept using a $60 adapter and it works out great.

4C69F5B4-26D6-4A67-8C2A-5604F0506780.jpeg
076B8915-E9B7-4D3C-9CE9-C7762B95882E.jpeg
4C69F5B4-26D6-4A67-8C2A-5604F0506780.jpeg
St. Petersburg, FL
727 238-6277 text or call my hubby for more info

Attachments

• ACB7CFDA-BB0E-4B79-AD42-D6CDC62E1BA6.jpeg
    ACB7CFDA-BB0E-4B79-AD42-D6CDC62E1BA6.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 75
  • E58B7AE6-EA56-49DE-A19D-431CEB636B77.jpeg
    E58B7AE6-EA56-49DE-A19D-431CEB636B77.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 80
There are a couple of compressors that can plug into a standard electrical outlet. The two that I am aware of are from Bauer and Coltri. The motors are fairly expensive and turn slower than their standard ones so they cost more. That is good for heat but, since it has a lower capacity at the slower speed, it has to run longer per fill.

There are a couple of compressors that can plug into a standard electrical outlet. The two that I am aware of are from Bauer and Coltri. The motors are fairly expensive and turn slower than their standard ones so they cost more. That is good for heat but, since it has a lower capacity at the slower speed, it has to run longer per fill.

neither of those are rated for continuous duty though correct? I.e. filling bank bottles?

Absolutely right. The two compressors I was talking about are the Junior II and the MCH6. But then again, if you are pumping a bank of bottles, you most likely would go nuts waiting for a 2 scfm compressor to get it filled up. :wink:

Oh ... and you are also right about a gas compressor being a good choice. You can get a brand new 4.2 CFM for as low as $2700 and be able to toss it in the trunk to take it anywhere with you.

I have a 3.5 cfm AN-M4C Stewart Warner compressor. The originals were set up with a 3 HP Continental gas powered motor but the adapt easily to a 5 HP Honda gas engine. They'll handle fills to 3300 psi and they are rated for continuous duty. They were commonly available on the surplus market about 12-15 years ago but are harder to find (and more expensive) now. At the time you could get one in near mint condition, modify the air intake, add a 5.0 HP Honda engine, a surplus filter stack and a fill whip and have a portable compressor for around $1000.

It's still worth a look if come across one. They are well made, durable and simple to maintain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom