TDI intro to tech review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanielRJones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Done my intro to tech course with Mark Culwick at cardiff scuba over the weekend and would like to fully review the course as I found it.

Arrived at quarry at 8.00 on saturday and went though book and theory skills also picking up the benefits and disadvantages of 3 man team diving and quite a bit on gas selection and benefits of gear. After 3 hours we went up to inspect my gear and assemble gear.

I have the following:
Apeks 40lb double wing
Single harness
Twin 12 euros
Apeks xtx 100 1st and 2nd stages

7l ali stage with dst and xtx 40 2nd stage.

Northern diver HID drysuit

After adding some inner tube to retain my inflator hose and advising me to buy a suit inflation kit for when i start diving trimix and finally changing some gear between pockets ( right pocket having spare cutter wet notes and spare mask. Left pocket 2x dsmb and spools) we were ready to go down for first dive.

1st dive was to correct weighting and trim and working on basic diving skills going from trim by moving arms in and out and extending to the left and right to see effects on their trim.
Weight was changed to a 2kg tail weight and 1kg v weight and bands moved 2inches to get me in trim frim starting the dive being very head heavy. Tanks were then drained down to 10bar for a final weight check. Am diving 1kg over weight which i am ok with as gives me a bit of play with gas in my suit.
A full video debrief occured and then after food we parted for the day.

Day 2
Dive 1
Start drills
Bubble checks at 5m and s drills
Bouyancy drills (picking 2kg weight up off container then using breath control to adjust for change then resetting boyancy and desending the container using breath control before dropping weight on floor picking it back up and ascending bacj to the top using breath control.)
10mins on finning techniques using flutter, frog, modified frog and modified flutter before changing to backwards finning and helicopter turns.
Removing stage and leaving it on container then re-attaching stage and exchanging stage cylinders back and fro.
A few out of air drills and valve shut down drills brought an end to the container work and a dive followed with me as number 2 diver focusing on torch placement ended up with a dsmb deployment from 13m and me leading the ascent as deco captain stopping at 9, 6, 3, 2 and 1m.

After full debrief picking up on things i need to focus on (use kidney dump, more snap on my frog kick and my helicopter turns could be more ineficient i do small movements to turn so even though i turn in place could turn a bit better and extend legs further on recovery stage on back finning)

Dive 2.
Start drills
Bubble check and s drills
Ascent to 24m with me being dive lead and going on a swim.
Instructer went ooa twice (second time was because i had dropped down to 25.5m while traversing mid water and was below planned depth so had to swim to him)
After 25 went back to the 6m training platform where we focused on more stage exchanging drills and more on finning techniqes and more valve shut downs and 1 final ooa after I had slightly trapped my long hose after clipping off my torch.
Another swim out to 15m for a dsmb deployment and leading ascent occured again stopping at 12, 9, 6, 3, 2 and 1m.

Full debrief and now i know where i have to focus before i do my Andp in August.
It was the hardest course i have had to do and can recomend to anyone looking to go into tech diving.

And fogot at some stage we done mask removal and going onto spare and also dropping off syage while swimming doing a lap of a container then picking it back up and attaching while swimming. Prob a bit kore i done also that now has been lostnin my brain.
First dive was 25mins 2nd was 75mins 3rd was 70mins

Welcome to the beginning stages of tech diving. It opens up tremendous opportunities.

Sounds like it was a really good course!

Sounds fun. Mark is a good guy.

Assuming this was in NDAC? Give me a shout if you every fancy doing some training there, always happy to spend a few hours working on skills and drills - or just someone to go diving with in general :thumb:

Sounds like it was a really good course!
It was. Got my andp and helitrox at the end of august. Bit nervous for that but should be fine.

Sounds fun. Mark is a good guy.

Assuming this was in NDAC? Give me a shout if you every fancy doing some training there, always happy to spend a few hours working on skills and drills - or just someone to go diving with in general :thumb:
Yes it was at ndac. And i nearly cooked in my drysuit. Never been so warm.
Thanks for the offer i will have to take you up on that.

What did your nominal volume SAC/RMV rate turn out to be with the D12 liter steel cylinders?

Is it in the "magic range" of 15 to 17 liters/min, or better?

What did your nominal volume SAC/RMV rate turn out to be with the D12 liter steel cylinders?

Why is that range considered "magic"?

18 - 19 on most of my dives with drysuit and all gear. Need to drop it a little bit.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom