Learning to use doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that it's not really as simple as slapping two cylinders on my back and jumping in, and there's various new drills I need to learn. What I want to know is how you guys learned all this stuff.

Well, that is exactly how I began: Purchased some used doubles bands from a local dive store. Inserted my two brand new PST HP 80's (the 3,500 psig Sherwood Genesis version)--no manifold, thank you. Fitted everything to my Scubapro Stab Jacket configured as independent doubles. Entered shallow water. And played.

It wasn't pretty. But, it was fun! And quite educational. And comical, as I attempted to do the exercises/skills in these independent doubles that I could do easily in my normal single tank setup. Learned quite a lot just through experimentation. And had a blast!

This was in 1988, predating the WWW (predating Mosaic), really.

Then, in the early 1990's, I moved to an area where a lot of divers were wearing doubles when diving Great Lakes shipwrecks. So, I learned from them, did some of what they did, refined some of what they were doing, based on stuff I was learning from the WWW (Mosaic and then Netscape had arrived by then).

Upshot: "Slapping two cylinders on [one's] back and jumping in" just might still be a viable approach for some divers introducing themselves to diving doubles--so long as they are extremely careful and conservative, and take things slowly. And are prepared to look ridiculous while figuring things out. And can laugh at themselves.

rx7diver

I know that it's not really as simple as slapping two cylinders on my back and jumping in

That is literally what I did. I drove from Phoenix to L.A., picked up a set of LP85s and an AL40 from a guy, brought them back to the local lake, setup my regs, and jumped in the shallows. After a few dives they felt normal. I purchased all the appropriate doubles gear of course (e.g., doubles wing, two 1st stages, etc.).

There are "Intro to Tech" classes you can take, but I think they're unnecessary if you can learn on your own.

I dive various sizes of doubles all the time. My favorite is by far the mini doubles LP50’s. I dive these for recreational diving daily. Like previously mentioned diving doubles for recreational diving.... nothing wrong with that. Bone has given u the perfect advice. If you plan to dive them rec... yes a few videos on how to set up a twinset, a buddy who dives them regularly, to give you pointers in shallow waters, learn the valve shut down drills and switching regs. All great advice. One point I would add.... dive in increments. Start out at shallow 20’ dives. Get 10 or so dives in, move to 30’ dives then 40’ then 50’ etc. get good and comfortable at each depth, with a buddy doing shut downs and such. Build the muscle memory and get used to the addl weight at depths.

Guys, thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I'm off to speak to a local club tomorrow that's said some of their guys dive twins, so I'll probably start with the "try it and start shallow" route.

OK, that's good to know. I was thinking about doing Fundamentals anyway - is doing fundamentals with doubles a good way to learn to dive doubles, or am I going to be trying to learn too much at once?
Way to much at once. Fundamentals is hard with a single tank and a wet suit. But it's all within the capability of a moderately skilled diver to learn to do in the class, even if they haven't dove with a BP&W before. But if you add more new gear it gets harder, and the valve drill for doubles is much more complex than the minimal stuff you do with a single tank.

But please don't try to learn how to do a valve drill from a video or a manual. And if you ignore that advice I strongly suggest you do it in the shallow section of a pool where you can easily stand up, because it's very easy to turn off all your air if you miss a step. I've done it, or tried to do it, and the instructor caught it, and that wasn't the first time I did that drill.

yes I do a non rushed week end intro to doubles with unlimited dives and free air / accommodation geared to what you want to learn................steve

Hello,

I've been diving for a few years, done 66 dives, and I'm looking to do more challenging diving in the future. I'd like to start diving doubles.

I know that it's not really as simple as slapping two cylinders on my back and jumping in, and there's various new drills I need to learn. What I want to know is how you guys learned all this stuff. Are there specific courses that are good for learning to dive doubles?

Thanks!

GUE fundamentals

not only will you learn doubles, you'll refine all of your basic skills, become a better diver and team mate and It'll set you up for more challenging diving in the future.

What club was recommended to you? Several members with this club dive doubles: About us | OUE SCUBA CLUB. They have a pool night on Thursday evenings at the Etobicoke Olympian.

If considering Fundies, a few things to consider. A tec pass will require doubles. Some folks have found diving doubles easier than singles (myself included). To me, it presents a more stable platform (no keeling over left or right if that is an issue for you in a single tank). If considering Fundies and whether to use/not use doubles, talk to the local GUE instructor and get his advise on whether to go into class as a new doubles owner.

Constructive advise on valve drills already given. Watch videos, get in a pool with a buddy and practice.

I am not a tech diver. And don't want to be one as I love recreational diving. I dive double (LP50s) almost all the time now and enjoy it.
You don't need to be a tech diver to enjoy doubles. You don't need GUE, UTD or other training just for diving doubles. It's not quantum physics. A friend and some self help will do the trick in my opinion.

tons of specific courses to learn to do it, but if you have a buddy that dives doubles well, that will greatly expedite the learning process and IMO negate the need for a course.
The only "drills" that are new is the valve drill itself. Everything else is the same as singles assuming you are diving a long hose primary donate setup and have a backplate/wing.

The valve drills are done specific ways by certain agencies and if you're going to do it, I recommend learning the GUE method of doing it. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand why they teach it the way they do. That said, if you're going to learn it, at least learn it that way and you can change it down the road. A lot easier to streamline their clunky valve drill than to learn a short way of doing it and then have to break it down into each individual step if you decide to go through their training.

outline of how to do it
Technical Diving Skills - Valve Shutdown Drill Explained
and video

I don't agree with the specific process, either. Plus, I note that in the video he doesn't even do it 100% correctly. After turning on his left post, he never purges the alternate second stage, as he should have.

But, I do agree that one does not HAVE to take a formal course just to learn how to do a valve drill. Especially if you have a buddy that already dives doubles and can watch you when you're doing it. As someone else said, it is not hard to accidentally end up with all your gas turned off. I did that once during my AN/DP training. I realized and fixed it myself immediately. And haven't made that mistake again! :)

Back
Top Bottom