Is it possible to do a Manta dive if staying on Oahu or Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it can be very up-close and personal.
Divers For Dinner.jpg

V

And don't go watch the eruption the next day since that's also about 6000'
It could work...

I'd also suggest looking up the next expected explosion before attempting to watch the lava. It has been fairly predictable and accompanied by a 5.3 on the Richter Scale. Of course they can't predict such things as the cone collapse today of the Kapoho cone so wear your running shoes! :wink:

USGS: Volcano Hazards Program HVO Kilauea

Kona Honu divers is another possible dive op to consider. If there is any way possible I would also recommend the pelagic night dive. It's a shallow dive over approx. 2000 ft water. You will see amazing bioluminescent larval forms and deep sea critters that only come in to shallow water at night. Check it out.

This is my manta dive at Kona a couple of years ago. It's well worth the effort. Having a 16' "wingspan" manta pass a few inches over your head is an awesome experience.

I agree and really want that experience!

Thanks for the suggestions. Appears as though to get better chances, we really do need to visit the Big Island as well. I think it'd be a shame to go all the way to the Hawaiian Islands and then not see the mantas. Due to flying after diving, we'll end up spending 2 nights.

What @diversteve said: we flew from Maui to Kona on a 10-seater cessna, not pressurized. But as I recall the flights from Kona to Oahu and from Oahu to Maui were pressurized. It may be possible to dive and fly from Kona to Maui the next day on that small plane, but you'll have to plan it right and verify they won't "upgrade" you to a pressurized plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom