Which LOCKTITE product would you use on your regulator threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NONE... In fact... A very, very small amount of lube is used to stop calling and or sticking of the threads.. Try keeping a eye of your gear better..

Jim

as far as keeping an eye on my gear better, I'm in the top 1% of my class on keeping my gear in stellar condition. If you read through the thread you might actually understand the real world mitigating circumstances surrounding my trip and operating conditions.

If I had to use something, I'd use plumbers white tape....would never consider loc-tight!

An interesting alternative! Given the fineness of the threads, which product would you use due to the small spaces/tolerances involved ?

Any 'OMG it will flame/detonate when exposed to 'high' O2 levels' concerns ?

Why your strong objection to Locktite, especially when Tbone says it's actually used in the scuba industry now, and I'm not planning to use any nuclear-weld strength Locktite product ?

Last edited:
An interesting alternative! Given the fineness of the threads, which product would you use due to the small spaces/tolerances involved ?

try using the o-rings on the lp side first, you'll be surprised at how effective they are. Omniswivel specifically calls them out as anti-vibration rings. What specifically on the HP swivel came loose? Was it on the regulator body, the hose to the swivel, or the swivel itself?

Nononono. Teflon tape is a thread sealant and lubricant, and is meant for tapered threads. It is not a locker, and is not designed for use with straight threads.

Nononono. Teflon tape is a thread sealant and lubricant, and is meant for tapered threads. It is not a locker, and is not designed for use with straight threads.

Thanks Frank, I'll pull that option off the list.

try using the o-rings on the lp side first, you'll be surprised at how effective they are. Omniswivel specifically calls them out as anti-vibration rings. What specifically on the HP swivel came loose? Was it on the regulator body, the hose to the swivel, or the swivel itself?

I do already use O-rings on the LP side, octo blew off 70 degree fixed elbow, luckily octo was bungied around neck prior to pressurization or octo would be at bottom of sea now. We used hex wrench to re tighten the loose HP swivel to 1-st stage connection, failure discovered when doing slight pressurization test (on slightly then off) to confirm AI computers reading tank pressure....then when regulator fully pressurized right before rollin 2nd stage octo blew off LP hose. I use the O-rings to provide the extra grip/anti vibration effect you describe, been doing that for many years now already.

How many other sets of gear left on the panga’s experienced these problems? Was it common for all the divers or just your gear? I’m not saying you did anything wrong but if only one set of gear was having issues under the same exact conditions as other sets it would seem to throw some shade on the notion that it was the conditions vs assembly of said gear.

I would certainly reach out to the manufacturers customer service department and see if they can advise. However, I don't see why it would be an issue to use a little locktite on non-moving parts....blue would be the one to use if any.

How many turns does each hose require before coming clean off? You're saying that three complete hoses, probably some of them clipped off to something at the other end, completed all of these rotations whilst sat on a boat? It's not just a nut vibrating off here, the entire assembly must turn.

I don't know, its stretching my imagination a little. And given that you're 'in the top 1%' of people that look after your gear, this must all have happened between completing your pre-dive checks and entering the water.

I think Loctite might be an equipment solution for a procedural problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom