Bare Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnew2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new Bare drysuit for half the retail price because the shop is no longer going to carry Bare. he said he was having quality issues.

This will be my first dry suit and he is offering to include the drysuit class as well.

Should I be concerned? Its cheaper than most used suits I have found and it fits perfectly.

Any insight as to the quality issues or any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I dived a Bare HD Trilam for ten years. I made about twenty-five dives a year with it.
Overall it was a good suit.
I did have to replace the main zipper twice ($400 x 2). Perhaps I wasn't gentle enough when closing the suit?
Finally the seals wore out and it started to leak too much, but that can happen to any high milage suit.
I replaced it with a DUI, which I feel was a step up.

the plastic zippers bare uses don't seem to be holding up as well, maybe 100 to 150 dives before they start leaking. but at half off, that can be a reasonable tradeoff vs spending more for a techniflex or ursuit. a seaskin could be a viable option too.

I have a Bare, in 8 years I have replaced the neck and arm seals twice. Other than that it is a great suit for the beginner.

My wife and I have Bare dry suits (XCS2). We have had them for about 6yrs and love them. Each one has had the zipper replaced once and neck and wrist seals replaced a couple of times. With between 400 - 500 dives on them, I would consider this to be normal wear and tear. love the Bare!!

So, I bought a Bare XCS2 and it lasted longer than any of the suits I’ve ever had. It’s a great suit. BUT, the company that runs Bare has the worst customer service of any company EVER IN THE HISTORY of companies.

Last month, or the month before I needed a new suit after several years and thousands of dives. I chose the DUI FLX Extreme. I couldn’t be happier, and their customer service has been fantastic.

I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new Bare drysuit for half the retail price because the shop is no longer going to carry Bare. he said he was having quality issues.

I've got a new car I'll see you for cheap. I'm not carrying the brand any more because most of the other ones I sold broke down....

But seriously....

I had a Bare XCS2. I never had any issues with it at all (in 60-ish dives in it, I think). But, I sold it and would probably never buy another simply because I realized I strongly prefer a trilam suit to that compressed neoprene.

I have no experience with other Bare suits.

I own 2 Bare drysuits. I have the trilam tech dry. 300+ dives on it in 1.5 years. Wrist and neck seals getting ready to replace. Replaced the exhaust valve x1. Minor leaks here and there in seams easily fixed with aqua seal. All normal wear and tear stuff. ESP with a very high mileage suit. I recently purchased the HD2 which is the upgraded HDC Expedition. I have roughly 20 dives on it. So far I am happy with it as well. As previously stated tho. I am certainly NOT impressed with their customer service. But the suits themselves are great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom