Any info on decent diving prices in Puerto Rico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerbee

Contributor
Reaction score
Baton Rouge, LA / Puerto Galera, Philippines
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I found a round-trip ticket to San Juan next week for $200 and I am seriously thinking about going… Only all of the dive shops that I’ve been able to find online in Puerto Rico charge around 50-60 bucks a dive. I plan on staying two weeks and diving a minimum of two times a day so I really can’t afford that much per dive (14 days x 2 dives @ 50 = $1400). Then again, maybe I’m spoiled from only spending 20 bucks a dive in the Philippines… Does anyone know of some buyers shops that are so “Americanized“ in their pricing structure? Also, could anyone recommend cheap digs while I’m there? Diving on a budget...

We've been to the US Territory of Puerto Rico three times; first staying in Rincon; second time in Playa Santa; and most recently (but before Hurricane Maria) in Culebra.

Having dived all over the Caribbean and both coasts of Mexico, not sure where you are getting quotes for dives, but $100 for a two tank dive trip isn't that unusual, give or take $20 either way.

My only Pacific diving was GBR, and assume those costs might not be representative of the cheap prices you are used to, but I think your expectations are pretty unreasonable for anywhere in the Caribbean.

I'd have to agree with ibj40. I've dove various areas around the Caribbean and the prices he mentioned are pretty common/standard. The exception might be staying at a dive resort where everything is rolled into a package.

I'll be in PR next month with the wife and do a little diving. Once of the West side, probably to Desecheo. The other on the East side to either Culebra or Viequez. Never dove PR before so it's a first for us.

maybe I’m spoiled from only spending 20 bucks a dive in the Philippines
^this^

The bit of time we spent in PR, it didn't seem like a particularly cheap place. Prices vary but the scale in the Caribbean (where lots is imported from US mainland, and sometimes Europe) is simply not the same as Philippines.

You could go to Bonaire where the boat dives are cheapish and the shore diving is cheaper, but you won't be doing it on a $200 ticket.

Last edited:
My info is 5 years out of date now, but I found a shop in a resort that would do 30$ per boat dive on a space filling deal.

...In hindsight I did get what I paid for, which was wet, which was exactly what I wanted.

Online prices rarely represent what can be negotiated in bulk in person during low season.

Culebra is great for laying on awesome Flamenco Beach doing nothing, big beach, beautiful water. But I wouldn't go thru the trouble, airfare, weight and baggage allowance, etc to go diving there like we did a month ago.
What I remember from research was the south side of puerto rico was best of the 3 for diving but I would check see if the mainland has recovered.

Culebra is great for laying on awesome Flamenco Beach doing nothing, big beach, beautiful water. But I wouldn't go thru the trouble, airfare, weight and baggage allowance, etc to go diving there like we did a month ago.
What I remember from research was the south side of puerto rico was best of the 3 for diving but I would check see if the mainland has recovered.

We did a lot of research and planning (we being my wife who does all the research and planning and the mouse she carries around in her pocket) before deciding to dive Culebra, but it was a bucket list kind of a thing. Execution required us to repack dive gear from our roll-around's into our mesh bags, to meet the requirements of the puddle jumpers, as well as to repack our other essentials into a smaller bag. We stayed in a guest house right on Flamenco, but didn't get to enjoy the Beach as much as we wished, due to cramming too much diving into too little time.

When we go back to PR in the future, we will probably focus on either La Parguera/Guanica (South/Southeast corner of the island) or a combination of that and some local dives in the San Juan/Old San Juan vicinity.

Another option is San Juan is a great place to catch a cruise ship, you can get 6 islands in 7 days. Good way to check out several islands to see if you would want to go back and spend a week diving there . Dominica, Barbados and Grenada are a few we would like to return to for diving. etc. Be prepared to pay $125 for 2 tank dives.

can do Cozumel. A 2 tank dive there is usually around $65-$70 .. remember to tip as well around $10 to $20 . Airfare more expensive.. Diving cost money no matter where you go. So does golf, tennis, ski, eating out. So budget money realistically or not participate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom