2 Days diving at Devils Den/Blue Grotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gatoremt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going for 2 days to both of these places in 2 weeks. Taking both of my boys for 2 days. Never been to these 2 springs. Is there anything I should know before going. I love diving in the springs. We got an AirBNB right behind Devils Den. Thanks for any info or advise.

Devils Den is a zoo with all the snorkelers allowed in.
Its dark...bring lights for everyone.

Blue Grotto much better IMHO. It is deeper, and you will need lights for the deeper portion, if that is your intent. Snorklers were not allowed during the weekend I was there..just divers. Get in early before the silters show up.

I did both last weekend with my kid who lives up there.
I am going to BG again in sept/oct. Probably pitch a tent there.

I tend to get bored very easily. So cavern type dive sites like the ballroom at ginnie, BG or DD can captivate my attention for about 30 minutes. After that I would rather rip my fingernails off with a spoon than dive it again.

Your results may vary.

I would try to get to Blue Grotto on a week day or as early as possible if sat/sun are your only options.

If you guys are not already cavern trained, I highly recommend it for anyone who likes to dive in the NFL Springs. Besides making you a better diver, it's fun! And will open up a few more dive sites that require a cavern cert.

If that's just not in the cards, spend a little time watching some YouTube videos on trim, frog kicking, and the importance of not kicking up silt on the bottom.

**and please don't allow use of a Dive light to tempt you to swim past the daylight zone, if you are not cavern/cave trained.

The caverns of Manatee, Orange Grove and Ginnie are far better imo, and cheaper.

Manatee and Orangegrove are about $5.00. Ginnie, I think is $33

My best recommendation is to get up EARLY. Be at the parks when they open. Perhaps do one each morning, then spend the rest of the day doing other stuff, perhaps try one of the other spots superlyte mentioned, or head down and do an easy relaxing drift dive on Rainbow River, which is well worth the $10 water taxi ride to experience.

blue grotto has a video on there sight that you should watch.

I went to Devil's Den a couple of weeks ago, on a Thursday. There were a bunch of snorkelers there, which really isn't an issue once you get into the water. The primary issue was trying to get up and down the ladder to the water. When they had an employee there, it was easy, because they give divers priority, but most of the time I was there, no employee. Expect to spend a few minutes waiting at the top and bottom of the stairs for room to get into the water and back out again. Many of the snorkelers are hesitant to enter the water, since they usually don't have wetsuits, and the water is pretty cold.

Definitely, absolutely, bring a dive light. It's really dark in there, especially if it's overcast. Without a light, you won't be able to see any of the cool details around the cavern walls.

It was an interesting dive, and I'm glad I went, but I don't see myself going back unless I'm tagging along with a friend getting their OW cert.

Thanks for all the info. Been diving caverns since 1994. Have no want to dive past light. We plan on taking lights with us. I enjoy diving springs. I enjoy them more than the ocean but that is just me. I have thought about getting my cavern training. Might be something I do in the future. Thanks for all the info. I will look into the other places in the future. I have been to Ginnie and made 5 dives there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom