Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At last you understand my problem ,i asked the divershop guy and he told me that they only have lenses for miopia but tommorow i will visit my eyeglass store to see what they have to say.
Gauge reading mask from DGX could be useful.

Forget about the zoop and the Leonardo: In the order:
Why would you say to forget about the Zoop? The computers you listed all have much smaller and less readable screens than the Zoom Novo, which not only has a larger screen but has a very clear matrix display. People can argue about which algorithm is the best, but for a beginner rec diver the algorithm doesn't matter.

The biggest problem of mine is the vision i cannot read small numbers in short distance so what is your opinion on the digits of this computer?

I have gauge readers on my mask so no problem. Without the magnification it would be a struggle. I use an Oceanic ProPlus 3 as backup and it has giant letters and tank pressure readout.

Suunto computers have a nice design, and if you dive with others with Suuntos there's no problem. But I think you'll find that Suunto readings can conflict with other divers using a more liberal algorithm. This subject has been argued extensively, so that's all I'll say.

Last edited:
Why would you say to forget about the Zoop?

Because everyone has their opinions. It's like a Chevy fan telling someone "Forget about Fords!" when asked for truck buying advice.

The fact is there's a reason Suunto sells a lot of Zoops: they do their job well. I've seen many people dive with a Zoop, come back from their dive in good health and with a smile on their face... repeatedly.

But some people just don't like Zoops. I suspect it's the goofy name.

+2 on the Oceanic Pro Plus 3...huge display and your choice of algorithms...

+2 on the Oceanic Pro Plus 3...huge display and your choice of algorithms...
I agree. Although not one of the computers that you listed in your original post, It has one of, if not the largest displays of any commercial dive computers available. It is worth a look.

I bought the AquaLung i500 ONLY because of the huge display

I wear a 2.5 bifocal and have a prescription mask custom made with my eyeglass prescription (not as pricey as you'd think it would be - about 185 bucks - even with the bifocal) - it works

but having said all of that - I could read most of the i500 without the mask

At last you understand my problem ,i asked the divershop guy and he told me that they only have lenses for miopia but tommorow i will visit my eyeglass store to see what they have to say.

you absolutely can order custom made lenses for whatever mask you prefer - or for the masks that the company sell - Sea Life USA i think - about 185 bucks each - they say 8 to 10 days processing time - it's been less for me all three times I've ordered

the ONLY issue with prescription dive masks is that they are calibrated to work underwater (water is a magnifying glass) and don't really work topside... which can be an issue - but it is worth navigating to be able to see underwater

I absolutely agree with the Oceanic Pro Plus 3. This was my first computer, which has now been traded to my wife in exchange for her Atomic Cobalt II for that very reason. She likes the color screen of the Cobalt, but says there's too much info on one screen and the characters are too small for her to glance at during the dive. She likes the readability of the PP3 because of the large characters and only the important info on the main screen during a dive. And price seems to be coming down on them, too, now the the PPX is out.

The Pro Plus 3 is a hosed AI computer, all the other computers discussed are wrist mount, if not put in a console. Oceanic computers are currently on sale, 20% off, see recommendation for Geo 2, above. The PP3 with compass, QD, and download cable can be had for $720

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom