Looking for dive buddies in Orange Beach, Gulf Shores area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Martin,
Not from the area but would like to start getting on the lionfish as well. I don’t have a boat so I’m looking to take a charter in the next month. Shooting for somewhere from Pensacola to Panama City. Anyways I hope you find some folks. If you’re looking to get that boat wet and do some traditional fishing I’d be down.
Max

The best regular charter for lionfish / spearing is Niuhi Dive Charters in Pensacola. Let them know when you book that you're interested in lionfish - some trips will be better than others to increase your chances. Realize that the more popular wreck sites usually have slim pickings as are they are dove all the time - so best to go on a trip hitting less common spots (of which there are 1000's).

Bluewater Escape in Destin is also very good, but they don't run dive trips as often as Niuhi. Their Instructor does run lionfish specialty courses when there is enough interest.

Expect charters to keep new / unknown spear fishers on a short leash until they see you demonstrate good dive skills in the water.

- virgil

I appreciate the heads up on the charters and what to expect. Even a dog on a leash still gets to go for a walk. I’m learning so I don’t mind. Thanks!

I appreciate the heads up on the charters and what to expect. Even a dog on a leash still gets to go for a walk. I’m learning so I don’t mind. Thanks!

Attitude is everything. Niuhi's DM's are accomplished spear fishers and eager to help - problems mostly occur with self-proclaimed 'rockstar' divers with unrealistic assessments of their own dive skill.

If you are interested I have the Down Under chartered for Sept. 8-9. We are going to do 2 dives on the New Venture wreck on Sat. the 8th, and 2 inshore dives on Sun. the 9th, so that we can get back in time to go dive Morrison or Vortex late afternoon. The price for the New Venture is $140 and the price for the inshore dives are $100. I have 2 spots available at this time. You would be diving with a bunch of divers from my dive club (Oklahoma Aquanauts). There won't be any spear fishing and all dives are no deco.

I know it’s been a while since this post, but I have a place in OBA and am looking for a dive buddy, as well. I want to log some dives so I can begin my Advanced Open Water Diver certification course. I’ll go any time of year.

I know it’s been a while since this post, but I have a place in OBA and am looking for a dive buddy, as well. I want to log some dives so I can begin my Advanced Open Water Diver certification course. I’ll go any time of year.
I’m looking to be in the area Thursday - Saturday. I’m not sure that we will be able to get on the Gulf this weekend if the forecasts are accurate. Any decent shore dives?

I’m from Pascagoula, and also looking to get some more dives in, but I have no one to dive with. I’ll be available this coming weekend if you’d like to get a couple dives in.

The weather on the Gulf looks questionable for the weekend. I’ve called just about everyone from Pensacola to Panama City and no one has anything organized except one charter still needing 3 divers for a trip out Sunday. I’m signed up for a charter out of Panama City on Sunday,but not sure if the weather is going to cooperate. Niuhi out of Pensacola said we need at least 4. I’ll be at Vortex Friday and Saturday. But if we could get something on the Gulf Friday I’m game. Saturday I’m got sessions there with my dive Instructor for Navigation dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom