Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iron_Chef_French

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

First time posting here and freshly certified, but I've been using the site for a while for quick answers to my nooby questions.

One question I've had no luck finding a concrete answer on is how the official SSI divelogs are handled. SSI has a number of dives requirement for many of it's expertise levels that need to be signed off and stickered by a professional upon obtaining the correct training and number of dives.

Is the official divelog only for training dives and/or dives where a pro is present? or could I include dives with a buddy I found on this site where a professional is not present and just get a buddy signature and somehow receive a sticker later? Do such dives even count toward the different levels?

An example: I go from my 5 certification dives into a combined course for Nitrox/some other specialty and come out with 10 total dives and 2 specialties. I find a buddy and do two dives on a weekend morning. Do I have 10 dives or 12 as far as the official SSI log is concerned? Do I qualify as a Specialty diver or no? How would I receive my card/log sticker given I only have a professional signature on 10 dives?

I'm sure I'm overthinking something somewhere, and I really care more about having fun than how many plastic cards I can collect; but getting this straightened out would prevent some head-scratching on my end.

Thanks everybody!

12 dives. As your experience progresses, there is the distinct possibility that fewer and fewer of your dives may have a professional with you. Some boat dives will have a DM, but even then you won't always be doing a guided tour where they are with you. I do my logging in an app called SubSurface. My SSI Instructor accepts that information. Granted he knows I'm addicted and is 99% sure that I have dove the number of dives as stated.

EDIT: My wife and kids (most common buddies) do not sign my log book.

12 dives. As your experience progresses, there is the distinct possibility that fewer and fewer of your dives may have a professional with you. Some boat dives will have a DM, but even then you won't always be doing a guided tour where they are with you. I do my logging in an app called SubSurface. My SSI Instructor accepts that information. Granted he knows I'm addicted and is 99% sure that I have dove the number of dives as stated.

EDIT: My wife and kids (most common buddies) do not sign my log book.

Thanks for the quick reply!

That's kind of what I was thinking. So basically just log everything and bring it in for them to check it out / have them check it out whenever I go in for a course or guided dive?

Thanks for the quick reply!

That's kind of what I was thinking. So basically just log everything and bring it in for them to check it out / have them check it out whenever I go in for a course or guided dive?

My experience is limited, but that has worked for me. For dive ops that didn't know me (only three so far), I was asked to show my card, and quote a dive number. I have not had a request to see my dive log. I have heard of that happening however, but rarely.

I had the same question when I started diving without a professional. They took the dives with and without a dive professional. When they made my advanced open water card they looked online and when we met up they signed and stamped the appropriate levels in my logbook. It was pretty easy for us.

Most SSI facilities will have a QR code that you will be able to scan and
log your dives when you dive with them using your Divers diveSSI app .
Good luck and safe diving !
Sea Dwellers

Back
Top Bottom