Looking to get started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxPat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I finally got my open water cert earlier this year. This past weekend I got my advanced. I have a blast being underwater and can’t wait until next time. I am a lifelong fisherman so I’m excited to give Spear-fishing a go. I figure I’ll start small with a pole spear going for lionfish. I’ve been doing research on regulations, gear, where to go, charters etc... I’ll be making a charter trip soon. I live in Louisiana so I’m shooting for somewhere from Pensacola to Panama City. Any words of wisdom from those that have experience are greatly appreciated.

Panama City Divers (not to be confused with Panama City Dive Center) is sprear fishing friendly.

Scuba Tech in Destin allowed flounder fishing with a pole spear but no spear guns when I dove with them in May.

Flounder fishing might be a good way to start as well. They are pretty easy to spear, once you find them.

A few of the wrecks in the gulf have resident bull sharks.... Just keep your eyes open

Right on! Thanks for the info. I’m just trying to learn as much as I can before I get out there.

i do believe you'll need a florida fishing license....and you might as well get the lobster stamp to have all your bases covered...good hunting.

Would love to get after some lobster too. Anything that gets me in the water and potential for dinner. Looking at closer options too, like orange beach as well. Just picked up a mako travel 3 in 1.

You'll find more slipper lobster in the gulf as compared to spiny lobster on the east coast. Slipper's are hard to spot, for me at least, compared to regular bugs. I've never actually caught one, but have caught many many spiny lobster

From what I've read the slippers are smaller, way better camoflauged, and like to cling upside down in cracks. Supposedly they are tastier too. I know you need to size your spiny lobsters under water. I imagine the same for slippers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom