Does waist size matter in a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepseamurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I have the opportunity to buy a used, and in good condition waterproof D7 ML at a a fair price, but my waist is about 2 inches larger, putting me in the "Large" category. Does it really matter? It is a bargain for a waterproof.

You're in the Exposure Suit section... seems right. So do I have this right.... There is 2" more of you than there is of the suit? Remember you need to stuff some undies in there as well...

Trilam suits don't stretch much and if it's tight around your abdomen, might it restrict your breathing?

It doesn't sound ideal, but it's likely worth trying on anyway.

You're in the Exposure Suit section... seems right. So do I have this right.... There is 2" more of you than there is of the suit? Remember you need to stuff some undies in there as well...

Trilam suits don't stretch much and if it's tight around your abdomen, might it restrict your breathing?

It doesn't sound ideal, but it's likely worth trying on anyway.

You're right about that. I wish I could try it on, but the drysuit is on the other side of the country and I doubt he would send it out for me to try on. He also won't take any returns either. Looks like I'm going to have to do some sit ups! LOL

If it's a rubber or neoprene suit they are forgiving a little. Trilam needs a fairly accurate fit.

Might you be ok depending on the thermals you plan to wear?

Fit is unpredictable it seems, can you try it on in person? If not, pass the deal on to someone else if you get it and realize it doesn't fit right?

Cameron

Looks like I'm going to have to do some sit ups! LOL

Well, maybe it's good motivation. I should mention as well that I have two drysuits from the same manufacturer. Both are the same stock size, and the model difference is really only the weight of the fabric. But the suits fit quite differently, even though the measurements are the same specs. And I think most drysuits tend to be a fairly generous cut. I see you're in California so it's not like your water is especially cold, so you won't need fat undies

I actually dive in the high altitude lakes in the Sierras lol

Ah, apologies! Get working in those crunches my friend. :)

I would not buy a suit if I did not have the opportunity to fit and dive the suit. Remote purchases tend to turn out to be exspensive mistakes.

The 3 most important considerations when buying a drysuit is fit, fit and no leaks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom